Chapter 3

Chapter three

"We believe
In ordinary acts of bravery
In the courage that drives one
Person to stand up for another".

—Dauntless Manifesto

———————

The room is arranged in concentric circles, and on the edges where the sixteen year olds would sit

The room is arranged in concentric circles, and on the edges where the sixteen year olds would sit. The arranged theirselves into alphabetical order, today was day that Karina would make a decision that could changer her life.

"Karina, love", James tapped her shoulder.

"Today is the day and I want to trust yourself to choose the right choice, wether if it's in the results or not. You're already responsible enough to do what's right, and just remember that I love you, always", his lie ran smoothly down his tongue, except for the part when he loves her.

He would do like any father could that would motivate their children to do something better, but he needed what other father would do too... To protect the ones they love, Including their children as if they were their own self.

Karina only nodded understandingly and all could James do was smile at her and pressed a lingering kiss on her forehead. He stayed behind the other parents that were proceeding down to their seats just to make sure Karina was comfortable on her own, and after he made sure of that he gave her one last look of goodbye and sat beside Johanna.

In the last circle were five metal bowls, each one contains a substance of each faction: Gray stones for abnegation, glass for candor, water for erudite, earth for amity and lit coals for dauntless.

When your name is called by Marcus Eaton— the Abnegation leader. You would proceed down to the bowls and accept the small knife that Marcus would offer. And you use that knife to draw blood from your palm and let your blood drop into one of the factions you chose.

And with that, you are no longer connected with your family except for visiting day, just like Chicago's motto: Faction before blood.

"Welcome to the choosing ceremony, our dependents are now sixteen, and reaching to adulthood, it is now up to them to choose of what kind of person that they'll become. Those who blamed aggression formed amity, those who blamed ignorance became erudite, those who blamed duplicity created candor, those who blamed selfishness formed abnegation and those who blamed cowardice were the dauntless. These five factions have been in peace for years, and to this day marks a happy occasion to us all!"

Karina fidgeted in her seat, her mind was getting dizzy when she woke up at the middle of the night, startled. It was another nightmare but quite different, she dreamt of a man who stood In front of her while she was kneeling helpless to the ground, all battered and bruise. The man's height and posture was the same man she saw at the fence.