Chapter 13

Keep A Heart

Chapter 13

"Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable." -Bruce Lee

Blair's POV:

I tried to keep my eyes on the meal that I'm preparing in front of me, not wanting to burn the dinner that is being made for seven people. But it became easily difficult to keep my eyes fixed on the pots and pans before me, knowing Harry walks around the large kitchen just behind me.

The sound of his feet shuffling on the floor as he opens and closes cupboards, trying to find things to help me out in the kitchen. The way he hums a song without even noticing as he chops the onion I had asked him to cut, looking at me and chuckling while lifting his arm to wipe at his eyes which the onion had made water. So many changes had been made between us in the past week. Harry smiles so much more, and I laugh much more often. We see Brynn every day, and we are breaking the news to our friends that we get to bring her home in precisely three days.

Neither of us entered the nursery since Brynn was born. I just don't think either of us could handle it, to see the room. But now I know I could, because I know she will be sleeping peacefully in her crib soon.

"Harry, will you taste the sauce?" I ask, stepping aside for Harrys body to fit between the stove and I as he nods his head. I watch as he dips his pointer finger into the spaghetti sauce, putting it past his lips to taste.

I feel my stomach heat as he looks to me, pink tongue running over his lips before his left eye drops into a wink. I feel my cheeks warm as I laugh.

"It's good babe." Harry tells me, lips pressing to my forehead, hand trailing down my back, heading for my bum before I swat him away with my wooden spoon telling him to inform Sadie and the boys they won't have to wait for dinner much longer.

When he leaves the kitchen I turn the burners on the stove off, wriggling my fingers to let out some of the tension. Tension from Harry, and tension of telling everybody the great news. I know they will be so happy for us. Just the thought of Brynn being home brings a smile to my lips, and I jump in place as I hear Harrys voice.

"What are you thinking about?" Harry asks, leaning against the counter with his eyes fixated on me. I wanted to ask how long he had been watching me, but instead say,

"Just thinking about Brynn being home."

It made him smile also, but we couldn't prolong the moment any longer then wanted as Sadie comes into the kitchen, asking if I need help bringing anything out. I tell her yes, and after mixing the spaghetti noodles and sauce in a pan together I ask her to get the bread out of the oven. Harry had burnt himself while putting them in to bake, so I didn't want to ask him to get them out. Harry takes the spaghetti out and I bring the plates and silver wear.

Everybody helps themselves when the food reaches the table, and I realize this is the first time we have all actually eaten at our dining room table together.

"This is good Blair." Niall compliments me, and I tell him thankyou as I nibble on a piece of garlic bread which Harry had made. Niall loves every food there is so I didn't think much of the compliment until everyone agrees.

"Hey, I helped too guys!" Harry exclaims.

"Harry, was this store bought bread and you just stuck it in the oven?" Liam asks him.

"No, ask Blair, she had to walk me through everything." A smile breaks through his features, dimples indenting as everybody laughs.

The dinner flew by and Harry and I still hadn't found the opportunity to tell everybody about Brynn. He would flash me knowing smiles from beside me, making my heart flutter in the very familiar way that it always does when he looks at me. As Niall and Louis begin to get seconds from the center of the table, as Zayn taps away on his phone, and as Liam and Sadie laugh about something unknown to me I lean into Harry.

"You tell them." I whisper into his ear.

He nods, and from side profile I could see his plump lips pull into a lopsided smile. I love his smile. And I appreciate it even more than I used to, because now that I know how he is without it, I never want him to be that way again.

"Hey guys, we got some good news on Brynn the other day." Harry announces, twirling leftover noodles on his plate around his fork, eyes glued to it with a goofy smile still on his lips.

"What is it?" Sadie asks happily.

"We get to take her home in three days." He tells them, looking up to all his friends. They all break out into happy cheers for us and my heart swells. I don't think I ever noticed just how much I love all these people. I am so lucky.

****

That night after everybody left Harry and I began to clean the kitchen together. I glance behind me to Harry who loads dishes into the sink as I wipe off counters, my music playing through the speakers that I know Harry would prefer to change and put his own on, but he hums along to the music anyways.

'I don't know where I'm at
I'm standing at the back
And I'm tired of waiting
Waiting here in line, hoping that I'll find what I've been chasing.'

When those soft lyrics float around the kitchen I instantly smile to myself, remembering how Harry and I had danced to this in Brynns bedroom while decorating it. I wondered if Harrys remembered. My thoughts were confirmed to be correct as a pair of wet hands trail down my arms, giving me chills.

'I shot for the sky
I'm stuck on the ground
So why do I try, I know I'm gonna fall down.'

I laugh as his fingers wind around mine, spinning me around to face him.

"Remember?" Harry asks me, hand pressing into the small of my back to push our chests together.

"Yes I remember." I smile.

'I thought I could fly, so why did I drown?
Never know why it's coming down, down, down.'

"I also remember how happy we were." I say softy, pressing my cheek to his chest.

"Hey." He gains my attention by running his free hand through my hair.

"We are happy. I'm happy." He tells me, eyes locked on mine.

"I know." I return the smile before pecking his lips, feeling the warmth sinking into my own even though our lips only touched for a few long seconds.

****

"Just imagine, she's going to me sleeping in here soon." I murmur, Harrys arms that are wrapped around mine as we lean in the doorway of the nursery giving me some sort of security.

His lips press to the back of my neck which he had cleared with his long fingers seconds before. "We will finally be able to put her to sleep." I say.

This time his lips press underneath my ear, and I let my eyes fall closed. I know Harrys thoughts are elsewhere, and it makes me smile to myself. Because we are finally back to normal, not being able to keep our hands off one another.

"Your father saw the lovebite you gave me." Harry murmurs into my skin.

"I know." I laugh.

"Do you think I should return the favor?" He mumbles.

"No! We go to see him tomorrow and I don't want him to see." I tell him.

I squeal as he begins to nibble on my skin anyways, and I try and wriggle out of his arms. He grunts at my denial as I duck under his arms, scurrying away from him.

"Where are you going?" Harry asks me with a smirk, leaning against the doorframe as I stand in the hallway breathing heavily.

"The bedroom." I answer simply, sending him a wink before turning around, walking away from him.

When I hear his heavy footsteps behind me I instantly start to run down the hallway. But with Harrys longer legs he reaches me in a matter of seconds, large hands grasping my sides to pick me up off the floor.

Harrys POV:

"That tickles." Blair giggles, wriggling beside me as my fingertips run over her bare shoulder blade.

"Sorry." I murmur. I lay my hand flat against her back, running it up and down then bare skin until reaching just above her bum which is covered by the sheets.

"Did your dad seem weird to you the other day?" I ask Blair curiously, remembering the look in his eyes as we spoke to him about trying to get him out of the hospital to come to our house sometimes.

"No, why?" She asks me, peeking up from my chest which her head lies on.

"I don't know, it's nothing I guess." I answer softly.

She yawns and I feel the goosebumps underneath my palm on her back. I lift the thin sheet over her exposed skin, pressing a heavy kiss to her lips, her tired features forming a sleepy smile.

"Go to sleep love."

"No, you go to sleep." She murmurs back.

"I don't want to go to sleep first." She mumbles.

"I like watching you sleep though." I tell her.

"Don't be a creep Harry." She tells me, yawning straight after.

She snuggles closer into me, her bare legs wrapping around mine to get even closer before closing her eyes.

~~~~

Authors Note:

I know it took a while to update, but I hope you liked it:) I know it isn't bed long but interesting things are coming soon:)