Chapter 19

Keep A Heart

Chapter 18

"Even after all this time the sun never says to the earth, 'You owe me'. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." -Unknown

Harrys POV:

2 weeks later

"Don't you think Brynn will like these Harry?" Blair holds up a packaged box of Barbie dolls, a bright smile on her pretty face.

I shrug, mimicking her goofy grin as I secretly admire her. I watch the roll of her dark blue eyes and chuckle softly to myself, leaning against the shopping cart.

"What do you think daddy?" She asks for her fathers opinion who sits in his wheelchair in the toys isle with us, seeming to be watching his daughter with admiration just as I do.

"Whatever you think darlin." He speaks, reaching his hand up to rub at his stubbly chin.

I can't look at him for too long without thinking of the secret he shared with me, telling me that I can't tell Blair because it will hurt her too much. He doesn't want any treatment for it either, he just wants it to take his course as he tells me.

"Oh, you men are no help." Blair sighs playfully, setting the box of Barbie dolls into the cart.

I lean down to peer into the carriage where Brynn is in the cart, seeing she's fallen asleep in her bundle of blankets.

"What do you want to get your mom and sister for Christmas?" Blair asks me with curiosity.

"I bet that my gift for them will beat whatever you plan up." She tells me.

"Oh who knows, probably some perfume or something." I think off the top of my head, pushing the cart alongside Blair as she pushes her dads wheelchair.

"I know what I'm getting for you dad." She scruffs the gray hair atop his head gently with humor, his wrinkled hand reaching up to grasp her hand in his. He holds onto it, her hand lying limply over his shoulder as she wheels him along.

I swallow, tearing my eyes away from the image. I can tell he's trying to cherish every moment that he has left with her. I can't tell you how many times I've almost blurted everything out to her, because I hate keeping things from her. But I know that if she knows, she won't be the same Blair I'm with right now. The incredibly happy, glowing girl speaking to her dad.

"She sleeping?" She asks me, tearing me from my thoughts. She glances at the carriage to confirm her question.

"Yeah, yeah she is." I answer absentmindedly. Every time I think about all this crap, I get into a mood. And I know she notices sometimes.

But when I feel her grab my hand it all slips away.

"Don't you just love Christmas?" She asks me cheerfully.

"Yeah love." I chuckle.

"But I don't think anybody loves it at much as you, getting excited by the smallest drop of rain." I chuckle.

"Blair has always loved this weather." Peter speaks.

"She used to beg me and her mother to go outside and play in the rain or snow with her." He says.

The tone of his voice is something that I would only be able to place; cherishing.

"Now I make Harry go out with me." Blair laughs, nudging my side with her elbow.

"How about we eat?" I suggest with a smile.

****

After eating and finishing some of our Christmas shopping we had to take Blair's father back to the hospital, saying our goodbyes and packing everything back into the car. When we'd finally returned home Blair put a sleeping Brynn into her crib.

"Didn't my dad look happy today?" Blair asks me, snuggled up in my arms on our living room couch, pretty in pink playing on the tv and the blinds opened wide. Her perfect night.

"He did." I answer, the feeling in my stomach appearing again.

I hear her yawn and my fingers grasp the blanket that slipping off our bodies, pulling it up to cover her some more.

"Blair?" I ask quietly.

"Hmm." She mumbles, her face snuggling into my neck, her breath tickling my skin.

"I....."

I find myself trying to tell her again, my tongue being disobedient to my mind as I begin to talk some more.

"A while ago at the hospital, your dad..."

I try and think of the right words to say, my running over my lips as I process through everything in my mind.

"He told me he's sick, Blair, and I can't-"

When I look down to my shoulder her face is still buried in my neck, and I knew she was asleep as I see her limp hand above the blanket.

I let out a frustrated breath, and lean my head back onto the couch.

*****

The next morning I'm leant against the kitchen counter as Blair cooks breakfast before we head out to do grocery shopping, getting swats and laughs emitted from her as I touch and grope her while she tries to cook.

"Harry, stop!" Blair giggles as I grab at her bum, my lips sponging kisses to her neck as she flips pancakes.

But she doesn't push me away as I begin to kiss along her jawline, knowing that her eyes have fallen closed as her head falls back to lean against my shoulder, hearing her hum. When Brynn lets out a happy shriek from her play pin Blair laughs breathily and lifts her head off my shoulder, my hands running up and down her sides absentmindedly as I continue to watch her flip pancakes from over her shoulder.

"You need to learn how to make proper pancakes anyways." Blair tells me jokingly.

When I brush away her hair from her face to nibble at the skin below her ear she slaps me away with her hand.

"Go get the mail please." She laughs.

I groan as I back away from her, noticing the way she shakes her head and rolls her eyes as I slap her bum before scurrying out of the kitchen.

"What's up with you this morning!" I hear her shout after me.

I shove slippers on my feet before trailing out of the house to our mailbox. I pull out the papers and begin to shift through them as I walk back up the driveway. When I see the logo of the hospital Peters at on one envelope, I stop in my tracks and instantly tear it open.

I read it, and then I read it again. And then again. Since Blair and I are on his medical record and pay the bills for them, they've sent this to us. It needs us to sign and give the payment for him to do his needed treatment, unlike what he wants. I shake my head with a sigh, shoving the letter into my jacket pocket.

"Mails on the counter love." I call out as I walk past the kitchen, making my way to the hall to go to our bedroom.

She calls out a response and I quickly make my way to the room. Once inside I kick of my slippers and discard my jacket, shoving the envelope in the back of my nightstand drawer, putting everything back where it belongs before sealing it shut. I just about jump in place when I hear Blair call for me to come eat.

When I'm back in the kitchen I try and push away the problem for now as I see Blair holding our baby girl, smiling as she sets Brynn in her high chair.

"Looks good." I tell her as she sits down, pulling out the chair next to her and sitting down.

As she serves my plate for me I lean over and plant a kiss on her forehead, the loving gesture causing her to flash a smile.

"Love you." She tells me, passing me my plate and beginning to make her own.

"Love you." I tell her.

I want to keep the smile that's on her face right now on there forever,
because its beautiful, really.

I haven't updated in a long time and I know it's not very long but I hope you enjoyed:)

Hopefully I will update more often:) comment and vote please!!:)