Chapter 5

Spencer's POV

I was nervous.

No, scratch that, that would be an understatement. I hope I didn't have pit stains...

I was going to ask Maddie to accompany me to a party at Rossi's this weekend. It was Wednesday and I haven't seen her since Saturday. Is it too early? Shut up Spencer. I began my walk to meet the rest of the team at the coffee shop for our usual morning routine. I walked in with them behind me and breathed in the wonderful smell of fresh pastries and coffee.

"Hey guys!" I heard her call from the back. Everyone hollered a hello back to her and she came scurrying up to the counter. "Usuals?" She asked us. We nodded and she handed us our drinks, "Good. I already had them made so you could have a little extra time."

"Maddie you are a lifesaver." Emily said.

"I second that, you're a perfect little gum drop!" Garcia squealed. Maddie giggled and nodded at them. I decided now was the time to ask her since everyone was distracted with their coffee. I shuffled toward the counter and hoped for the best.

"Hey, Maddie, I have a question for you," everyone behind me had stopped talking and was now listening and staring, I could feel them burning holes in my back. "Would you like to come to a party with me and the team this weekend? It's at Rossi's just a regular dinner party." I could feel the blood rushing to my cheeks as everyone behind us "ooh"ed and "aw"ed.

She gave me a toothy grin, "I'd love to." She seemed giddy and happy and I was too. That went better than expected.

"Sounds good. We can work out details later, okay?"

"Affirmative, boy genius. Go have a good day at work." She sent us on our way and the team turned to me once we were out of sight from the shop windows. JJ, Emily and Garcia all jumped and squealed and cheered.

"Pretty boy I think she likes you." Morgan nudged me.

I thought about that for a second, "Maybe. I'm not sure." Emily hit me on the arm and gave me an incredulous look.

"What do you mean you're 'not sure'? Did you see how she smiled at you? You two are so cute!" She giggled. We got to the office and Rossi noticed everyone's behavior.

"You all seem giddy, what's the occasion?" He inquired.

"Reid's got a date for your dinner party on Saturday." Morgan said. He sounded proud and excited for me.

"Who's the lucky lady genius?" Rossi chuckled.

"Maddie. She's not my date, just... She's the only person I could think to invite." I defended. Rossi and Morgan both "mhmm"ed me and we all went to our places in the bull pen. JJ turned to me.

"Spence, you do know she likes you right? I think you like her too. You've known each other for a respectable amount of time, maybe it's time to make a move for it." She suggested.

"I can't tell whether I like her or not JJ. That's my problem. Plus I don't want to jeopardize our friendship. Do you know the percentage of ruined friendships due to break ups? It's-" she cut me off.

"Spence! She does, trust me. How does she make you feel when you see her and she smiles and laughs with you?"

I thought for a second. "She doesn't make me giddy and excited like a usual crush would, whenever I'm around her I feel more of a calm and tranquil sensation, like she could fix all of my problems. It makes me feel amazing and refreshed every time." Shortly after this left my mouth I realized what I had said and became flustered. I tried to cover it up but JJ caught on immediately.