Chapter 12

"How long ago did they leave?" I asked Izzy as we climbed into the car. Apparently Jace didn't know how to drive so him and Alec had elected to walk there.

"Like thirty minutes ago!" She started up the engine and started driving away from the institute. "Alec and I were having breakfast in the kitchen when Jace came in saying he needed my brother for something. I tried looking for them when I was finished eating but I found my mom instead and she said they had already left."

"Why would they leave without us? It doesn't make sense," I wondered.

"Jace likes to take the lead on things," Izzy told me. "He probably just wants to find the note first to rub it in all of our faces."

"There might be an-" Sebastian started but I screamed at Izzy. She had just ran a red light. 

I held onto the handle bar. "Izzy, getting us pulled over or killed isn't going to get us there any faster."

"Yeah, yeah," she said but I don't think she was really listening to me.

I held on for dear life until we reached the apartment complex that the address led us to.

And I climbed out of the car I noticed a familiar blond about to enter the building. "Jace!" I shouted.

He stopped and started making his way over to us. Alec followed.

"Why the hell would you leave without us?" I asked him. I wanted to hear what his explanation was.

Jace shrugged. "You guys were taking too long to get ready. I didn't want to wait."

"You know we all agreed to leave at 10 not 830 in the morning," I informed him.

"Yeah well, the early bird catches the worm, or in this case the note," he said.

"Come on guys," Alec intervened. "Let's go inside. Bickering out here isn't going to help anything."

Oh Alec, he was always the mediator between us. I'm sure if he wasn't here I probably would have killed Jace by now. 

The five of us made our way into the building and up to the second floor where Javier's apartment was located.

I tried the knob on Javier's unit. It was locked, of course. Making sure there was no one else in the hall, I drew an opening rune in the door. The lock clicked open and the five of us quickly entered.

The apartment was pitch black. I found a light switch and turned it on. The windows had been blacked out, that's why we couldn't see. I realized that the apartment was also a mess. Clothes, empty blood bags, and trash littered the floor.

"How are we ever going to find anything in this mess?" Sebastian wondered. "The note could be anywhere."

"Then we search everywhere," I told them. "Izzy and I will take the bedroom." The two of us left the rest of the apartment up to the boys.

Ironically, the bedroom wasn't as messy. There were only some clothes on the grand and an unmade bed.

The two of us began to move through the room, opening drawers and looking inside the pockets of his jeans. I threw the already looked through clothes into a pile when I was done with them so we wouldn't get them mixed up.

Izzy and I had almost gone through the entire room and came up with nothing. From the sound of it, it didn't seem like the others were having much luck either.

Suddenly, I had an idea. I walked over to the bed and lifted up the mattress. "Izzy!" I called as I noticed a piece of paper hidden underneath it. She fetched the note and I let the mattress fall back onto the boxspring.