Chapter 28

Jace had silenced his ringtone but that wasn't stopping the downworlders from approaching us. He gave me a knowing look and before I had time to argue he had stood up in full view of the downworlders.

"It's a little drafty down here, don't you think?" Jace was trying to buy time. I immediately began looking for an escape route. But I soon realized the only exit were the stairs we had come down. The stairs that the downworlders were currently standing right in front of.

"Nephilim," one of them spat.

"I mean I love what you've done with the place but the temperature could be improved. Though, I guess you don't get cold being undead and all." He shrugged. I realized we were dealing with vampires. Normally I'd say we could take them but I was sure if any fight broke out down here others would be down in an instant. We couldn't take an entire bar by ourselves.

"What do you think Frank? Should we split him?" A feminine voice. "He looks delicious." I dared to peer out from the side of the crate. Three vampires stood there. Two guys and the girl who had just spoke.

"While I am sure that I'm delicious I really must be going-" he stopped talking as the vampires hissed at him. He sighed and glanced down at me before looking back at the vampires. "Oh what the hell." He whipped a seraph blade out of his jacket and lunged at the vampires.

I cursed myself for not bringing a weapon along with me, not even my trusty blade. I didn't think we would be getting into a fight tonight. And I was sure my mother wouldn't have let me leave the house with a sword strapped to my waist.

I kicked the crate and it splintered as it broke. As I did the vampires looked over in surprise giving Jace the opportunity to decapitate one of them. I grabbed one of the splintered planks as the female vampire lunged at me.

I managed to dive out of the way and held the plank up in defense as she went to lunge at me again. She was probably a new vampire, using only her speed and strength to attack me. Evidently it wasn't enough because she ended up with the piece of wood in her heart.

I glanced over towards Jace to find that he was still fighting the other vampire. However, it was over all too soon as Jace thrust his blade into the vampire's chest.

"Jace! Let's go before more come!" I shouted to him as I began to make my way up the stairs. But I spoke too soon as the door opened and a growling werewolf appeared.

"Clary! Duck!" I bent down at Jace's shout just in time as a plank of wood sailed over my head and hit the werewolf. It provided enough time for me to sprint up the rest of the stairs and skirt around the werewolf, Jace hot on my heels.

"Back exit!" Jace hissed in my ear. The downworlders upstairs were turning towards us.

"Get them!" A voice growled. I realized the werewolf had shifted back and was nursing a head wound from the plank Jace threw at him.

Jace and I hurriedly made our way through the kitchen door. There had to be a back exit that way right?

The cooks turned to us, oblivious to what was going on in the bar. "Excuse us, we're just leaving," Jace said as we inched our way to the door.

Suddenly the door to the bar banged opened. "Don't let them escape!"

"Run!" Jace shouted at me as we ran towards the door. As I pushed it open I saw the blond punch a vampire in the face.

I ran outside into the crisp evening air. Panting slightly I looked behind me as the door closed. There was no Jace.

"Jace!" I shouted. I could see through the windows he was fighting inside. He must've gotten pulled back into the frenzy of battle.