Chapter 18

"You're doing great, Clary," Izzy assured me. If I wasn't too busy concentrating I would have told her the opposite. "Just press gently..."

I slammed on the brakes. Or at least I hadn't meant to, the car just slowed down quicker than I had anticipated.

"Can I get out?" Jace asked from the backseat.

"No," the three of us said at once. As much as I hated to admit it we needed Jace there when we fought the demons and we couldn't wait for him to walk. We were already running late as it was.

"The light's green now, Clary, you can go," Izzy instructed me. But I couldn't moved. I was petrified. Fighting demons? Easy. Driving a car in traffic? Hard. I kept thinking the two other cars on the street were gonna swerve and hit me. "Clary-" she started to say but the car behind me honked. It terrified me so much I smashed my foot to the gas pedal.

"Clary!" Izzy yelled. "Slow down!"

"I'd like to give my seraph blade collection to Max-" I heard Jace start saying.

"What are you doing?" Alec questioned him.

"Verbalizing my will," he explained. "Chances are at least one of us will survive the car crash that's bound to happen."

"Slow down!" Izzy repeated, more urgent this time. There was a turn coming.

"Oh great Raziel please take pity on my soul..." Jace's prayer was lost when the tires started to screech. I had slammed on the brakes.

As the car stopped the engine started sparking and smoke began to rise.

"It's not the worst way to go-" Alec pulled Jace out of the car, cutting him off. Izzy and I had already gotten outside.

The car exploded.

I shielded my face as I rolled backwards, away from the blast. I was glad I was wearing gear. Any normal clothes would be gone by now.

I looked at what was left of the sad car. The frame mostly and it was still on fire.

"We should..."

"Go, yeah sounds like a plan," I finished Izzy's sentence and the four of us sprinted away from the burning car. Looking towards Alec and Jace I was glad that the older boy had had the sense to grab the weapons bag before the car exploded.

Luckily, due to my sudden burst of speed, we were already close to the abandoned building where the demons had been reported.

Slowing to a stop outside, I panted and pulled out my stele. "C'mon Izzy," I told her. Runes drawn by Parabatai were stronger than any other.

Izzy rolled up her sleeve and I began to draw runes on her. Silence. Night Vision. Endurance. Speed. I glanced at Alec and Jace, they were doing the same thing. Except for the fact that Alec was drawing on Jace's chest. I forced myself to refocus on drawing the runes on Izzy.

When I was done my Parabatai took out her stele and drew the same runes on me. We could have drawn them at the institute but the fresher they were, the better they worked.

As she finished I rolled down my sleeve. "Did your dad give any indication as to what type of demons they were?"

"Nope," Izzy said. "No one was able to pinpoint the type."

"Amazing, so we're going in blind," I sighed. I would have liked to be prepared. Glancing at the building I found it to be two stories. "Izzy and I will take the upstairs, you two can take downstairs."