Seventeen

// Nico's pov \\

A whole day at the beach. Yay (note the sarcasm).

Will was happy about it though. And as long as Will's happy, I'll fake happiness until I feel kind of happy myself.

Percy was leading us around as he was the only one who had been here before. He was showing us all the best places to go swimming, to sit so you don't get splashed. Leo pissed me off by making a joke; asking Percy where the best place for me to raise the dead was. I pushed him and he fell over into the surf.

Everyone settled down on blankets and fold up chairs. I grabbed a seat under an umbrella and took my book out to read. Will ran off with Percy, Jason and Piper into the water. Annabeth was laying on a blanket with a book. Leo was building sandcastles.

It didn't take long from this peaceful trip to go from heaven to hell.

Piper and Jason had gotten out of the water and were laying next to each other on a picnic blanket. Will and Percy was still up to their chests in the ocean.

I smiled as I watched Will for a few moments. I then turned back to my book. I tuned out Annabeth and Piper's conversation as my eyes took in the beautiful words written on the paper.

The peace only last a few moments.

// Will's pov \\

My feet. I can't move my feet. What's happening? They're caught on something. But what?

I called over to Percy to come help, which he did. He dove under the water. When he resurfaced I tried moving again. Nothing.

Raising my eyebrow in question, I noticed Percy's face and understood it's meaning. I was well and truly stuck.

Then I noticed Percy's eyes widen. I turned my head to see the monstrous waves behind me.

I was stuck. Percy wasn't. "Go! I'll be fine. Just go." I told him. We both knew I wasn't going to be fine but Percy just nodded and swam back to shore, warning everyone else to move away from the water.

I then heard Nico's pained cries. I turned back to the beach to see Jason and Percy holding him back, dragging him to safety as tears streamed down his face. I locked eyes with him and smiled, acting brave for him.

I turned back to the waves as Nico's screams slowly faded away. The waves were so close now.

I'm going to die - I thought as the first wave passed over my head.

I was under for a while, but not too long. I resurfaced. The next one was on me before I could properly prepare. My lungs burned with the lack of oxygen.

As quickly as I came above the water, I was back under again.

I could hear the waves mocking me as they gave me such little time above the water before stripping me of the ability to breathe.

Five waves. Six. Seven. Then I gave up. My lungs couldn't handle it. There wasn't enough air for my body to function.

I knew this was it.

I let my thoughts drift away from my death, and to the one thing that I would miss about life:

Nico di Angelo.

// Nico's pov \\

Percy ran up to the group, dripping sea water everywhere. I looked up from my book to give Percy my full attention.

"—up! We need to move. The waves. We don't know where they came from but they're pretty dangerous by the looks of 'em." He said as he started picking stuff up and moving everything away from the water.

I look around and noticed Will wasn't there. "W-where's my boyfriend?" I asked, my voice small and childlike.

Silence.

Then: "I'm sorry Nico." Percy stared at his feet, making no eye contact with me, when he said it.

I dropped my book in the sand and sprung to my feet. I tried to run to the water to get to Will but Percy shouted at Jason and they grabbed me. "Nico! No. Just leave him. Please. We can't lose both of you!"

"I won't just let him die!!" I screamed. "WILL!!!! WILL NO! WILL!!!!" He turned around to look at me from the ocean, the waves making him look tiny in comparison. He smiled just before he spun round to face his death.

I screamed and shouted but I knew it wouldn't do anything. My Will was going to die and there was nothing I could do about it.

I watched his blond head get swallowed by the water as I finally noticed the tears on my cheeks.

Giving in, I let Percy and Jason drag me to safety. We sat there and watched until the waves died down.

~time lapse~

When it was safe, we all returned to the beach. I walked along the beach, my feet avoiding the surf at all costs. I refused to touch the thing that killed my boyfriend.

As much as I knew it had happened, I never accepted his death until I saw his body. I noticed his blond hair from in between some rocks and ran over to his lifeless body.

I crouched down and took him into my arms. The gang ran up to me but didn't disturb what I was doing by talking. Hot tears streamed down my cheeks and fell from my face, landing on Will's which was hardly recognisable now but I knew it was him.

"He's dead." I whispered, finally accepting the fact that Will was gone and I would never get him back. "My Will... He's g-gone." I choked up at the end then broke down into ugly, loud sobs.

Percy knelt down next to me and tried to comfort me. "THIS YOUR FAULT! YOU COULD'VE SAVED HIM BUT YOU DIDN'T!" I let go of Will, his head resting in my lap, and shoved Percy with all my strength. He slipped and fell backwards into the sand. "I never want to see you, any of you, ever again! Will is gone and you didn't save him. And you wouldn't let me save his either! Why couldn't it have been you, Percy Jackson? Why do you get to live and Will doesn't?" Annabeth, being to most logical, gathered them together after my outburst and they all left.

I turned back to Will and picked him back up. I kissed his forehead then closed my eyes. I sat there in silence for a little while. Then I started singing Twin Skeletons (hotel in NYC) as tears rolled down my cheeks.

**********

a/n: story complete!!! I don't know where this story went. If you read the first chapter then this you'll see they're completely different. But I hope you all enjoyed it.

~Em