f o u r ✺ ...wasted nights

St. Petersburg Beach was crowded already when I got there. Kids were making sandcastles, teenagers two or so years younger than me were (pretty much) having dry sex, and adults were wasting time checking Facebook (without watching their children, may I add).

I find a quaint place to sit down, and lay down my towel. I take out my umbrella, and place it down as well.

I then sit on my towel and enjoyed the presence of the warm sun. It always felt nice during this time of day: the sun wasn't directly out, and it wasn't cool either. It warmed you up in every way possible.

After a while, I stand up and decide to splash around the beach. As I was swimming around, one of the waves comes and knocks me over, bringing me down with it.

"Hey...you alright? Sweetheart..."

I didn't really remember much after I got knocked over by the humongous wave, but I remember the face I saw when I woke up.

"Oh, thank God. You okay?"

"Yeah." I mutter.

I notice the familiar afro and ridiculous look immediately.

Why was the main character of my story here?

"You're too pretty to die, you know that?"

Yet I still felt like shit, he was being so cute, I was a slight bit embarrassed. 

"Thanks for the help, but I gotta go." I quickly stood up and staggered towards my umbrella. I felt a raindrop fall on my nose. It was raining.

I quickly run, grab my stuff, and haul ass to my Toyota 4Runner.

I get in the car, and feel queasy. I open the door and empty out my stomach before I start the car.

As I make my way back home, I kept thinking of that guy. Why did he keep coming into my life? There has to be something about this guy...

I make a quick stop into Starbucks (don't worry, I didn't forget about Steak N' Shake) and quickly connected to their WiFi.

I log in to Twitter and make this quick message:

reasie🌞✌ (@reaseshaffer07):
So, I've been using this cute guy I saw as a character in a new story I'm writing. If you know who he is, can you message me? Much love ❤

I then grab the raspberry tea I bought, ran out to my car, and called Richie

After three rings, Richie answered.

"Hey, how's the beach?"

"Good." I lied. I didn't want Richie to know about my near-death experience. "What did you want from Steak N' Shake? And do I need to get anything for Ching-Chong?"

"Seriously?" I could hear Richie roll his eyes from the other line. "A mint Oreo shake."

"Okay, cool. Anything else?"

"A large order of chili cheese fries."

"For Ching Chong?"

"Would you quit calling him that?" Richie scolded. I found myself giggling.

"Okay, Tank?"

"Hank  left an hour ago. So, nothing for him. But Mikie's over now, so that's why the large order."

"Okay. Tell Mikie I said hi. Love you."

"Love you too, lil' sis."

I hung up, and I went on my merry way.

Steak N' Shake wasn't too crowded this time of day, and so I was able to get in and order pretty easily.

I was waiting when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Hey, aren't you the girl I saved earlier?"

I turn to see him again. This was surreal as hell.

"You kind of ran away, though. Are you okay?"

Oh shit, I did, didn't I? Fuck.

"Sorry about that. I forgot that I had to get home to my brother."

"Right. Hey, look, I'm-"

"Medium mint Oreo shake and large chili cheese fries?" the cashier called up.

I wave at him. "Can we talk later? My order is up."

"Alright." I then go up, get my order, and walk towards the door.

Suddenly, as I left, I saw a hand take a couple fries.

"Hey!" I turn to see the guy shove them in his mouth.

"I'm Chris." He smiles. "What's your name?"

"Rease." I shyly answer.

"Beautiful name. I feel some connection...like if we were...ohana."

"Ohana?" I ask. "Like Lilo and Stitch ohana?"

"Yeah. Ohana means family. We could be-"

"Thanks for the life lesson." I close the fry container. "And next time, don't eat my brother's fries."

I turn and leave the building, and when I do, my phone buzzed.

I put the food in the passenger seat and check the tweet that was sent to me.

TB Rays Updates Daily (@tampabaebaseball):

HOLY SHIT, YOU DON'T KNOW WHO THAT IS?
(sorry about the caps, lol)
That's Chris Archer, girl! The starting pitcher for the Tampa Bay Rays! And your brother's Richie Shaffer...but it isn't my business 😕

Chris Archer. Starting pitcher.
Tampa Bay Rays. Richie.

How come I didn't know who he was before?