t w e n t y - f o u r ✺ who takes an L now?

a.n. A LOT HAPPENS IN THIS CHAPTER. BE PREPARED.

Chris

The last 3 days have gone by too slow. I had been here, in the hospital, watching over Rease and hoping that her condition would improve.

Richie and Kiefer had been here too, and we all took rotations as the others went home to eat, or went to work.

Today, it was my turn, as Kiefer was practically forced to get up from the seat he had accompanied and went to work.

I hadn't heard from Richie yet, which had me a bit concerned. He usually messaged to me about 7 A.M., but it was about noon-ish, and I hadn't heard anything from him.

About Rease, she was still in a critical condition. Her brain swelling had gone down, thankfully, but everything else was questionable.

"Excuse me, sir?"

I jump, seeing as it was her doctor.

"Yes. I'm sorry, I was deep in thoughts."

"You're fine. I'm Dr. Hutchins, as you already know."

I nodded.

"Miss Shaffer's vitals...they're better." Doc was messing with Rease's IVs. "They're a lot better than someone in her place should be. If this keeps going uphill, there may be a chance she'll wake up."

"Really?!" I shriek.

The doctor shushes me. "Yes. But all you have to is hope and pray. There's still a chance that she can die."

"Jeez, Doc, you didn't have to take that downhill."

"Well, gotta be realistic, man. She's in a coma." He shrugs and grabs his clipboard. "We'll be watching over her all day to see if she improves."

"Okay. Thank you." I wave to the doctor, and he leaves.

As he left, Richie entered with some Taco Bell in hand.

"Hey, Chris." He sat down next to me. "How is she? I saw Hutchins walking out."

"She's doing better, Rich." I grab myself a quesadilla. "Doc says she might wake up."

"Good." Richie whispers. "That's the only good news I've heard today."

"Rich?" I take a bite of the food. "What happened?"

"Chris." He sniffles tears. "I...I got traded."

"Where?"

"Seattle."

And in that second, machines began to go berserk.

"NO!" Richie shot up.

I ran out and yelled for nurses.

A squadron of nurses and a doctor come in, and began to start what they needed to do.

"I...no...I can't be the reason she dies!" Richie yells.

"Richie, it's not you-"

"DON'T TAKE MY SISTER AWAY FROM ME!" Richie yells.

After a few attempts at reviving, we see that the machine has gone back to normal.

"Um.." I looked at the nurses.

"This is a sign." One of the nurses spoke up.

"SHE ALMOST DIED." Richie retorts.

Most of the nurses leave, and one checks her vitals again.

"She's showing signs. She hears you. She's awake."