t w e n t y - t h r e e ✺ is this it?

10:45 P.M.

Chris

I had just got back from celebrating at the gala and was getting undressed when I got a call.

(813)-XXX-XXXX

I groggily pick it up.

"Hello?"

A sniffle comes from the other line. "Um...yeah...Chris...this is Kiefer? Rease's friend?"

"Yes? What is it?"

"She...she got in a car accident."

"Rease did?" I began to pile my clothes back on.

"Yes." Kiefer's voice cracked. I felt extremely bad for the kid.

"Where is she?"

"St. Pete Memorial." Kiefer cries. "Get here as soon as you can, please."

"On my way. Keep your head up, kid." I them send him a goodbye and find myself rushing to be by Rease's side.

---

I rush to St. Pete Memorial and saw quite the string of people there.

There was Kiefer and Riley, Rease's coworkers.

Richie and two older people- those had to be her parents.

Mikie Mahtook, Logan Forsythe, Erasmo Ramirez, and Blake Snell were there too.

Everyone imaginable was here...except for one person.

Her boyfriend.

"Chris." Richie gave me a big hug. "This means so much. So much."  He shook his head, breaking the hug crying.

I look straight at Kiefer. His hands were furiously shaking and his breaths were hitched.

I softly walk over to him.

"Wanna talk, kiddo?"

Kiefer quietly nodded, and we began to tread towards the little chapel that was nearby.

"Are you okay?" I asked as we walked into the small room.

Kiefer slumped onto a row and shook his head.

The kid looked terrible. His eyes were red and puffy from crying. As mentioned, he was shaking pretty badly.

"I...I can't." Kiefer sobbed.

"Take your time." I rub circles on his back.

Kiefer took several deep breaths, and sniffled.

"Ya know....this is my first panic attack in 3 years." He nods, feeling a bit more confident. "And I'm scared. I'm really, truly fucking scared."

I nodded.

"Rease...she's...she's been there when I honestly needed it." He wiped his tears on his sleeve. "I wasn't in a good place when she first appeared. I constantly got in arguments with my brother and practically slept in my car sometimes. It's scary."

I nod again.

"I swear to God she's....ugh. She's my best friend. And I can't lose her because some fucking asshole decided 'hey, let's swerve off the fucking road-" Kiefer began to get angry.

"Alright, alright." I grasp him by the arms.

Huffing, Kiefer collapses in my arms.

"God, don't take her away. Please. Please."