Chapter 5

The picture above is Cayden :)

~~~~~~~~~

It's only been an hour since we've left, and already the worry and anxiety has slapped me in the face. Cayden told me I should try and sleep because we'll be on the road for a while, but my mind won't shut up.

He seems to realize I'm awake because he speaks.

"You okay?"

"Yea I just can't sleep," I huff. The last thing I want is for him to think that I regret running away.

"Are you having second thoughts?" He asks, as if reading my mind.

I pause for a second. To be honest, I don't really know I feel about this. For years, all I've ever wanted to do is run away, but now that I actually am, I'm afraid I've made the wrong choice. I miss the comfort of my home. I miss Auby and the way he giggles when I tickle his tummy. I even miss Katie and her attempts to assimilate me into society. But I'm an adult now, and adults make their own decisions.

There's no backing out now.

"No, I wanted to leave," I say. "I needed to leave. There's nothing for me back home."

Cayden seems to believe me because he nods and continues staring at the road. I slide back in my seat, and close my eyes again. Somehow sleep finds me.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I'm suddenly awoken by a hand softy shaking my shoulder. I open my eyes and find Cayden crouching down in front of me.

"I had to stop for gas. I figured you would want something to eat and use the bathroom," he says.

I nod and slowly slide out of his car.

"What time is it?" I ask.

"Around 5:30, why?"

"Just wondering."

I look at the sky. The sun has begun to poke through the horizon, filling the sky with swirls of pink and orange. The sight makes me smile.

Now that it's fully light outside, I notice the cuts and bruises all over Cayden's face. He seems to notice my shift in countenance because he talks be before I can.

"It was my dad."

"What happened?" I ask, suddenly worried.

"It doesn't matter anymore."

"Is that why you left?"

"I'm eighteen now. I finally had an excuse to get out of that hell hole," he retorts.

I slowly nod and get out of the car, standing face to face with Cayden.

"You know, when you said you wanted to leave, I never thought you meant the next day," I say. "I thought you had died or something after all those cops showed up at your house."

Cayden laughs a little bit, mischievously looking at me. "So you were worried about me, eh?"

I slap his arm and laugh. "Who wouldn't be worried when they're cops involved?"

"Touché, touché."

A moment of silence passes.

"Why did you come back for me?" I quietly whisper. Part of me is afraid to know the answer and part of me is dying to know. "Like, we haven't talked in over four years, but now I'm running away with you. Why did you ask me to come with you?"

Cayden looks out towards the street in serious thought. It almost seems as though he doesn't quite know the answer himself because it takes him a while for him to reply.

"I've always known you, Alaska, even when you thought you were invisible. You may not be worth it to most people, but you're definitely worth noticing to me."

Immediately I'm taken back by his words. Does Cayden like me? Or is he just being nice? I decide on the latter. Cayden's always had this protective quality about him, and he definitely seems genuine, so I know I can trust him. But at this point, all I can really do is trust him.

"I...I don't know what to say," I whisper.

Cayden sighs and turns around, walking towards the gas pump. "There's nothing to say."

I decide to walk straight inside of the gas station because I have no idea how to respond to Cayden, and I feel somewhat awkward about his statement. I can't help notice that the more time I'm spending with him, the more I'm beginning to feel like there's something I'm missing. And that's definitely not the kind of thought I need to be thinking at this moment.

Walking into the bathroom, I stare at my reflection in the mirror. Dark circles have formed under my eyes and my hair looks like a rats nest.

Great.

I look like crap.

~~~~~~~
I feel like this was a bad chapter haha.

I needed transition time so this is what I had to throw together. However, exciting things are coming so hold on to your seats!

Don't forget to vote and comment because I will greatly appreciate it! :)