Chapter 16

I wake up to a throbbing head. My throat is swollen, and it's hard to breathe.

Cayden.

He did this.

I try with everything I have not to be mad at him, but it's hard when my aching neck is constantly reminding me that Cayden almost choked me to death last night. It's not his fault, I guess. He obviously doesn't remember me because I know that he'd never try to hurt me. Verbally, maybe. Physically, no.

I walk downstairs and into my kitchen, opening the fridge in hopes that I'll find something worth eating. So far my appetite has been the size of a peanut, and I'm losing weight because of it. The doctors gave me medication to help me eat more and boost my energy, but taking medicine with an empty stomach always leaves me nauseous. So I don't take it.

I decide to settle on cereal, my go to meal. It's light enough that I won't throw up but enough to keep me somewhat satisfied. I pull out the jar of milk and find a note taped to the front of it.

Alaska,
There was an emergency at work, so I had to go in today. There's some roast in the crockpot for later tonight if you start to get hungry. I won't be back till around 6, so could you please pick up your brother?
Love you, stay safe.
Mom

Great. I'll be by myself all day.

After eating breakfast, I decide to get ready and go over to Katie's house. She's the only person, other than Kyle, that I haven't seen since I woke up at the hospital, and I know her face will cheer me up.

I throw on a pair of jeans and a loose tank, throwing my hair into a messy bun and applying a little makeup on my face. My appearance is still crap though. I have cuts and bruises all over my body, there's a huge gash on my forehead, and I have a few bruised ribs. Right now I look like a strangled bird.

After I grab my keys, I slowly make my way out of the door and towards the car. I look to my right and see Cayden through the window. I immediately stop and watch him. He seems tired and stressed, but surprisingly relaxed. He's talking to someone, who I can only assume is his little sister, Layla, because he's speaking with soft, compassionate eyes. But as he goes to embrace his communicator, I see that it's Cayden's dad, not Layla.

That's odd. Cayden hates his father and vice versa.

I shake the scene off, continuing my way down the driveway. The last thing I need is to get caught up in Cayden's home life.

As I reach my car, I freeze. There, standing at the end of Cayden's driveway is an all too familiar figure with straight black hair and a tight little black skirt: Raven.

My eyes bulge with rage, and it takes everything for me not to run over and punch the living daylight out of her. But before I can make myself move, Cayden comes out of his front door and strides towards Raven.

She embraces him, and he gives her a peck on the lips, both of them smiling beyond their heart's content.

I'm stunned speechless.

Did Cayden just kiss Raven? How can he remember her but not me?

I'm afraid that Cayden can hear my thoughts because his eyes meet mine, and he goes stiff, mumbling something to Raven. She turns around, glaring at me, and then back to Cayden. They talk for a few seconds, about me I can only assume. Raven seems to reassure Cayden about something, and he relaxes, allowing her to pull him in for another embrace. He opens the passenger side door of his new car and allows her to slide in, walking around to the drivers seat where he gets in and drives away, out of my sight.

Something's not right. Actually, a lot of things aren't right. First of all, Cayden hates his family, and I know that no matter what, he will do everything in his power to run away from them. Well, he hates everyone except Layla. He loves Layla more than himself I'm pretty sure. Second of all, he's with Raven, and he knows that I'm his soulmate. He left her behind to be with me.

Seeing Cayden with her is like a knife to the heart. After everything we've been through, he chooses her over me? How could he betray me, and throw away everything we had together? He doesn't remember me, though. It's the only explanation for all of this. But that doesn't explain Raven's behavior. She knew who I was. I could tell. If there was any hope of trusting her before, I definitely don't trust her now.

I wish I could go over to Cayden's house and straighten things out, but something tells me I shouldn't get extreme. Besides, Cayden was really aggressive last night, and he will probably hurt me if I go too far. And now Raven is back in the picture. After being kidnaped by her, I know what she's capable of, and I definitely don't wanna cross paths with her ever again.

I decide that Katie can wait for now. I need to find Kyle instead. He should know what's going on and how to help me. Detective Danner is probably telling him to play along and keep quiet, but I know he'll be honest with me.

I am his soulmate after all.

<><><>

This feels kind of choppy but whatever haha. Hope y'all are liking these twists and turns so far!!

Please vote and comment bc I love to hear your feedback and opinions!

Thanks :)