Chapter 15

I'm being discharged from the hospital today. After I woke up from my coma three days ago, the doctors said there was nothing much else they could do to help. Basically sleep has been the doctors' number one goal for me, and I'm not disagreeing whatsoever. I'm completely exhausted and just staying awake for a couple of hours practically drains everything from my body.

I can't help but feel emotionally drained as well. Everything is so confusing, and I'm struggling to believe the fact that I've been dreaming for the past month. My parents must think I've gone insane because I've brought that fact that I ran away from home multiple times. Every time they just give me this look of pity as though I'm some stray dog who hasn't found her home yet. It makes me sick. Auby, on the other hand, won't even make eye contact with me anymore. He hides behind my mom every time they come into my room, and he's beginning to scare me. Auby used to run into my arms every time he saw me.

This is how I know something isn't quite right.

The doctors place me in a wheel chair as I exit the hospital, even though I've made it perfectly clear that I can walk out on my own. I think it's just hospital etiquette, though. You exit via wheel chair whether you like it or not.

My parents thank the doctors - I mumble a thank you as well after my mom stares daggers into my eyes - and we get into the car. The drive home is silent which I'm grateful for because it gives me time to make a plan.

I need to talk to Cayden. Tonight. I don't care if we actually haven't talked in four years or four days, but I need to know the truth. I need to know if he remembers me.

If he doesn't, then I'll know that Detective Danner was right and that I'm crazy. But if Cayden does remember me, then I'll know that Detective Danner is trying to cover something up.

By the time we reach my house, I've come up with a concrete plan to visit Cayden.

<><><>

That night I wait in the tree beside my bedroom window, hoping to sneak over to Cayden's house when he comes home. I've been practically glued to my window all afternoon to see whether or not he is actually home. His house has had no activity all day, so I've assumed he's been out. Once my parents thought I went to bed, I climbed out onto my tree to get a better view. Let's just say Ive almost fallen ten times, and it definitely wasn't the most graceful tree climb I've ever procured.

I eventually hear car doors slam and voices, one of them being Cayden's, so I quickly slide down the tree and run over to his house - more like waddle to his house- and climb up the side of his back porch where his patio window is placed. I lift up the window and peer inside.

Cayden immediately snaps his head around, his eyes wide with fright. My face probably looks the same, but not for similar reasons. I nearly gasp. The right side of his face is covered in a nasty burn, making his eyelid close almost all the way. Tears begin to build in my eyes because there's no way he wasn't in a car accident with me. The memory of that blurry night comes rushing towards me like an overwhelming flood, and I can't help but remember Cayden about to promise me something, only to have that promise interrupted by the explosion of a car. I run towards him, throwing my arms out to embrace him as if it can make up for everything we've just been through.

But something kicks me in the stomach, and I fall backwards, knocking my head against the wall. Before I can regain my composure, something is strangling me, pinning me against the wall. I open my eyes and see Cayden's hand wrapped around my neck, his eyes bulging with anger.

"Who the hell are you and what are you doing in my room?" he spits.

"Cayden...its me...Alaska," I say between strangled breaths.

"I don't know you!" he screams. His grip only tightens.

"Cade please, let me go. I'm your soulmate, can't you remember? Our car exploded before we could run away together."

I'm crying now. How can he not remember who I am? We ran away together. We're soulmates. We survived a car explosion together for Christ's sake! Wouldn't that be enough to cause someone to remember?

Cayden loosens his grip and let's me go. I fall to my knees, gasping for air and clutching my neck.

"I have no soulmate, girl. Now, I'm gonna give you 5 seconds to leave my room before I call the cops on you for trespassing," he says.

"Cayden please!" I beg.

"1...2...3..."

I slowly make my way to the window, tears streaming down my face.

"4...."

I step out of the window.

"5."

I run home absolutely heartbroken. This is worse than him being dead. This is worse than me being dead. This is worse than him dying.

Cayden Bates doesn't remember who I am.

<><><>
In honor of reaching 1000 views I've decided to post another chapter :)

I know it's been a long time since I've updated, but life has been crazy and there's simply been no time to write. Everything is slowing down now, though, so I'm making an effort to post more.

Thank you so much for your patience and support, and please vote and comment because your feedback is what motivates me to write :)