Chapter 18

For the past two days, I've been trying to wrap my head around everything that has happened. My parents must think that I'm going crazy or falling into depression because I've literally spent the past forty-eight hours in my room. I've only left to go to the bathroom, eat, or play with Auby. Seeing Auby's smile and laugh is probably the only thing that's keeping me going at this point. 

Thinking back to the conversation I've overheard between Danner and Kyle, I know that everything from the past month was, in fact, real. Somehow Cayden doesn't remember me at all which could mean that he either doesn't remember anything or he doesn't remember the past month. I'm thinking the latter. I'm also pretty sure that the "girl on the inside" that Danner and Kyle were referring to is Raven. She definitely has Cayden wrapped around her finger, and he's pretty much convinced that they're dating which is outrageous because he was never attracted to her in the first place. 

I also think that Danner and Kyle have been interested in Cayden for a while. Raven met Cayden at a diner, "randomly", when I was absent. They said, indirectly, that I got in the way which is probably why Danner and Kyle met with me specifically and why Kyle befriended me. They used me to help them find Cayden. After Cayden and I escaped Raven's apartment, someone got upset and blew up our car. And now everyone's trying to convince me that I was in a coma and that Cayden doesn't remember anything. Something's obviously not right, and I honestly don't understand who would go through all this trouble and why. Why is Cayden so important that they literally blow up a car to try and "fix" their mess. 

It makes no sense. 

This is why I decide to go visit Cayden's room tonight. I need him to remember me, even if that means him killing me in the process because I can't take this anymore. Without him, I literally have no one. Katie won't answer my calls or my texts, and I don't want to drag Auby into any of this. I have no one to talk to about any of this, except Cayden. But Cayden can't even remember who I am. 

When my clock reads 12:00 am, I sneak out of my bedroom window and climb down a tree next to it. I quietly run to Cayden's pack porch, like I usually do, and climb up the different layers of his roof until I reach the top. It's a cold night, and I can see my breath in the air. I pull my black hoodie closer to my body and gently slide Cayden's window up and peer inside. Cayden is sleeping soundly in his bed, and there's another bed smashed up next to his, but no ones in it. Why does he need such a ginormous bed? In order to actually get to him, I have to crawl on the abandoned bed, and when I do, it's surprisingly really soft. If I wasn't on a mission, I probably would've bounced on it like a trampoline. Childish, I know. 

Cayden moans and rolls over to face me, barely awake. He pulls me towards him and buries his head in my hair.

"What took you so long?" He asks.

I tense up. Clearly, he's mistaken me for someone else. Most likely Raven. 

"Cayden," I whisper.

Immediately he jerks back, shaking the bed, but he doesn't say a word. My eyes have adjusted to the light now, so I can see the surprise in his eyes, but also the disgust. At least he's not choking me to death, so I think I'm making progress. I laugh at myself on the inside. 

"I thought I told you to stay out," he hisses.

"You can't trust Raven," I say. There's no telling how much time I have until he either screams or kicks me out, so I try to get to my point very quickly.

"She's my girlfriend."

Dang. That hurts.

"She's not who she says she is. She's pretending to be your girlfriend," I say frantically.