Chapter 19

I open my eyes to a faint light. My head throbs with every slight movement, and my eyes are swollen. Every single inch of my body is enveloped in a dull ache, and it takes everything for me not to cry. All in all, I feel like crap.

I'm sitting in a steel chair, my hands cuffed to the back legs, my ankles the front legs. I remember being like this in Raven's apartment. The thought makes my cheeks burn with anger. I try to wiggle my hands out of the cuffs, but all that does is cut deep into my skin, making me wince from the pain. There's no escaping this time. There's no one to rescue me. 

I decide to gauge my surroundings, wondering if there's the slightest chance that a human being could be near or that I could escape. It looks as though I'm in some abandoned warehouse. The space is open with rusted metal deposited randomly, and there is moist air all around me, smelling of mold and dirty socks.

A door suddenly opens to my right, and I quickly snap my head to look, a wave of pain bursting through my head.

"It's good to see that you're awake, my dear," says Kyle. He gives me a sly smile, and I stare daggers into his eyes.

"What do you want with me?" I spit.

Kyle walks over to me and leans over the chair so that our faces are literally millimeters apart. "I simply want you to be a good girl and do as I say."

I scoff. "You lost that privilege the moment you started lying to me."

"Oh, so you do know? See, we're already getting off to a great start," he laughs.

I silently curse myself. So much for my "play it innocent" plan.

"If you're gonna kill me, just do it already," I say matter-of-factly, trying to hide my fear as best as possible. 

Kyle snorts at my response and slowly walks around to the back of the chair, nuzzling his face into my hair so his lips just barely touch my ear. I freeze, goosebumps charging down my body.

"Now what fun would that be? It'd be a shame to let something so beautiful go to waste."

"Get away from me!" I yell in disgust, snapping my head away from him as fast as I can. 

Kyle laughs, walking back towards the door he came in, and says, "After all this is over, you'll have wished it was me."

Before I can ask what the hell he just meant, Kyle walks out the door, leaving me alone again.

I'm suddenly very creeped out. Kyle is so delusional. He pretended to be my friend, my soulmate, and he genuinely seemed like he cared about me. Obviously, I learned this was not the case, but even still, he's very good at pretending, and that's what scares me the most. I can't even believe he's a detective. But is that a lie? Because I'm pretty sure cops don't kidnap people. What does he even want with me? I'm of no value to him or anyone for that matter. I guess I was at a time, back when Cayden still remembered me, but now there's no one to save me. No one to love me. No one to hold me and tell me that everything is gonna be alright.

I'm completely and utterly alone.

Maybe it would be better if Kyle were to just kill me. 

The door slams open, interrupting my thoughts, and in walks Detective Danner. Fear returns to my body. He has a case with him which he sets down on a table, big and black. His back is turned towards me as he opens it.

I can see the case now, and my breath catches. There are hundreds of different types of knives, needles, and medical tools. Among those is the scariest of all: a gun. My body becomes extremely tense.