Chapter 8

He left, drove right off without me. Part of me feels broken, like I've just done the worst thing anyone could possibly do: drive away their soulmate. The other part of me is glad I said what I said. One thing's for sure: things were moving too fast, and I don't like fast.

Fast means either two things:

1). You'll fall in love and live happily ever after.

Or

2). You'll fall apart and live the rest of your life broken.

I don't want to end up like the latter, so I chose the safest way I know: to not get involved. It's why I never dated when I was younger. There are to many chances to get hurt, especially when your actual soulmate is right around the corner. Or in my case, down the street.

I want to know Cayden, I truly do, but this is all going way too fast for me. I'm not the kind of person who spills my soul out to practical strangers, and I'm also not the person who steals cars. I may be reckless, but I know the difference between real life and Grand Theft Auto.

I decide to go home because right now, it's the only place I know where to go...or even have to go for that matter. It would take weeks to walk home, so I decide to hitch hike all the way.

This outta be interesting.

But suddenly I'm filled with the most somber feeling, and I can't get ride of it. I miss having Cayden by my side, the way he would look at me, the way he would hold me. I miss him, and I hardly know him.

I have to stop thinking about him. 

But did I make a huge mistake?

<><><><><><><><><><>
4 days later

"Alaska! Thank god!" my mother exclaims as I walk up my driveway. She embraces me in the biggest hug I've ever received, squeezing me until I can barely breath.

My dad follows behind, showing a mixture of annoyance and relief. "I'm glad you're safe, muffin."

For some reason I feel dead, numb, like I shouldn't be home anymore. The sight of my parents means nothing to me, and that scares me. That is until Auby comes rushing out the door and into my arms.

"I knew you'd come back, Sky!" he exclaims with joy.

"Couldn't leave my little duck behind now could I?" I say as I slide a piece of his long hair behind his ear.

"I thought you died or something bad happened, so I showed mommy the letter." He looks down in shame. "I'm sorry I told on you."

I squeeze him tighter. "It's okay, little duck. You did the right thing."

Im somewhat glad Auby told my parents about me running away, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't write that letter for this possibility. Now I don't have to face Cayden anymore, and I can only assume he went back for his money and left, a thousand miles away by now.

My family ushers me into the house, clinging to me as if I'll run away again. As we enter the house, at least half a dozen cops are sitting in my living room, clearly annoyed that it took so long to find me.