xvii. quasar

Anything that came between Elle and the vent has come and passed as quickly as a single thought, and it filled Elle to the brim with anxiety and excitement all in one chaotic mixture. Jack devoted every free time he could get his hands on to helping his parents with the event, even ditching school here and there if he had to. But even when he was putting his education at stake, it was really touching to know that a guy as gruff as he seemed to portray himself to everyone still has a piece of his heart to his parents.

Jack texted her a while ago saying that he was going to pick her up at around seven, since he needed to be earlier than the others considering that the entire event was to celebrate his parents' joyous marriage that had surpassed the countless obstacles that ruins the weak relationships, but undoubtedly strengthens those that survive it.

Elle was in her room as she fumbled through her closet to find a dress that could do the seemingly impossible task of impressing the family who had everything, but nothing seemed to work. It seemed like today was the day that every flaw and bad memories of a dress chose to stand out the most. One dress seemed to reveal too much and ended up being tossed on her bed. The other seemed to be to conservative, and it joined the first dress. The next one had a color that didn't seem impressive enough, which meant that the other dresses had more company. It came to the point that it seemed that all the dresses piled together as rejects on her bed, and Elle couldn't help but groan in frustration.

"What's wrong, honey?" Her mom peeked in her room and widened her eyes when she saw the mess in her room. Honestly, it looked like the tornado from The Wizard of Oz came and trashed the place. Elle, seeing her mom, immediately felt a wave of guilt, since she probably heard the noise and the frustrated mumbles that she made for the last hour, and she only had that much time left.

"I don't have anything nice to wear for the event."Elle collapsed on her bed and on the pile of clothes on it. Her eyes were focused on the ceiling as she contemplated whether or not it was too late to fake a sickness and ask Jack to cancel, but then she disregarded it because she didn't have a good enough reason to go through with it. She soon heard her mother swing her door fully open and enter. "This is a grand celebration?"

Elle just nodded, not even attempting to look at her mom as she stood next to her bed and watched Elle panic internally. But she didn't expect her mom to walk in front of her and pull her up by her hands. "Where are we going?" Elle asked her mom as she lead her outside. Elle notced that they were going to her room.

"I was going to save this for your next birthday, but I guess you need it now more than ever." Her mother knelt down in front of the chest she had posted in front of her bed, and she pulled out a paper bag before handing it to Elle. She reached for it curiously before undoing the staple that closed it, and she gasped in admiration. She pulled out the most beautiful dress she has ever seen. It ended a few inches above her knees, and the neckline was a halter style that was adorned with beautiful shimmering gems.

"Thank you, mom." Elle breathed out as she bent down and wrapped her arms around her neck. This was honestly the most special thing that she has ever been given in her entire life, and it couldn't have came in a more needed time. "Now go get ready." Her mom pulled away and smiled.

She ran back to her room and put the dress on. She smiled as she stood in front of the mirror, internally appreciating her mother's taste in clothing. She soon got some black heels on and curled her hair and pinning them up into a glamorous hairstyle before doing her make up. Just as she was about to finish, she heard someone knock on their door, and butterflies started fluttering again before she got her clutch and filled it with her things then going down the stairs.