xx. tidal

"Darling? How are you doing?" His mother asked in a concerned tone that is natural for the woman who's child is on the verge of falling apart. When Elle gave them the call, they have just arrived from a discontinued flight to Bulgaria to celebrate their anniversary. They were barely halfway there on their private jet before they demanded that it be turned around immediately. There wasn't even time to wait for the driver to come, and Hugh drove through the dark streets like a mad man with a heart that was going at twice the speed.

"Shhh, I just got her to sleep." He whispered, and their eyes looked at Elle as her body squirmed for a moment before nestling her head deeper in his chest. It has been two weeks since the fall, and Jack's health has been deteriorating at a noticeable rate. It was painful to see him now with his beyond pale skin, his voice that lost the mischief that hid behind it and was replaced with a lifeless hoarseness, his eyes that have lost all the fire that gave them that enticing spark and were now only remnants of the man he was before.

But never in those two weeks did Elle leave his side. She has spent as much time with him as she could, even getting him better food from beyond the confines of this sanitary prison. Jack has spent every night with the only thing that is keeping him alive in his arms. And even though that was the task of the high end equipment that surrounded him, he only scowled at each and every one as they just served as an hourglass that was
slowly running out of sand.

Helen couldn't help that silent sob that slipped out of her mouth before her husband wrapped consoling hands around her, and she slowly composed herself as much as she could. "I hate seeing you like this." Hugh sadly said as he and Helen approached his bed as silently as they could to not waking her.

"Please tell Elle that I would like a word with her, when she wakes up." Helen whispered before running out of the room, not wanting anyone to see her so broken down, and Hugh cast one last glance of courage towards his son before chasing after her. It upset Jack just as much to see her mother, a woman that has always been the love child of grace and beauty, so vulnerable and broken. Jack remembered all the times that she has seen her so overwhelmed by her frail heart, whenever he was overcome with this unfortunate thing.

His eyes were lifted back up to the window as the stars continued to shine bright and put on a symphony of light across the night sky along with the ever glorious moon. It was another sleepless night for him, but no one blamed him. Jack, consumed in so much problems, spent the nights trying to find a sense of comfort in such a cold isolation. His mind was hazy, but he could make out ideas that were too blurry to be elaborated or even withstand a mere second before vanishing from his head. His eyes unknowingly staring at the ceiling as the humble buzz of the air conditioning served as his only company, other than Elle.

He memorized how the stars glimmered in their own unique way as they were beautifully dispersed through the night sky. But every time he looked up to the ever changing masterpiece of the heavens, it only reminded him of how everything that makes each one unique shall always be diluted by the ignorance of everything and everyone around them, until they would just be meaningless words brought together and bound upon another face among a pool of millions. They were all the same, but the ones who chose to stand alone in a strive to take individuality are those that are easiest to forget.

"You couldn't sleep again?" Jack heard her words before he felt the way her body started shaking off the grogginess brought upon her by sleep. She looked upon him with those bright eyes of hers, and he suddenly felt a thin layer of relief drop over him. He almost thought that everything would be okay, but he refused to make the mistake of hoping twice. And as his eyes drained of light, the dimly lit candle behind her eyes disappeared along with his. A frown fell upon his face before he raised the corners of his mouth up in a feeble attempt on a hollow smile before he pulled her closer to him. "My mom wants to talk to you for some reason."