Chapter 3

I sat silent and still as I watched the Hunter's Councilmen with slight amusement. It seemed like I wasn't the only one who had gone on a killing spree. The black haired man they were currently questioning did not appear to be taking any of their roundabout questions or their current bullshit.

The line of questioning was nearing its fourth round and the thought amused me greatly because his reaction was fascinating for me. Irritation was causing him to grit his teeth and his rather largely pregnant mate was muttering insults under her breath at the nearest Hunters.

At one point I had to cough as to hide a laugh as she quietly muttered at him to 'kill the fuckers because I'm hungry'. She was an interesting character and my wolf was intensely focused on her belly, we could sense the power radiating off of it. One of the twins had been touched by the moon goddess, only I wasn't sure if it was a blessing or a curse. The longing my wolf put off at the sight was nearly unbearable. Her need for a future was a heavy burden that made me wish I had the ability to wrap her in my arms.

We had each other but that didn't mean the longing or grief was gone. We missed our boy, we missed the little life that had been too small to take its first breath. We missed how he used to roll around in our belly. The small kicks that we had just begun to feel. My hand fell to my stomach as if feeling phantom movements of him in my flat belly. My wolf gave me a slight mental nudge, pulling me out of the melancholy and making me focus. I sent her my gratitude. We relied on each other to pull us out of the sorrow.

I turned my attention to the front when it started again. An intense gaze that I knew led to dark blue eyes. He would stare and then look away only to stare again. It was getting to be irritating and my wolf flashed me the image of clawing his eyes out. I tried my hardest to ignore the piercing gaze that was currently drilling holes into the side of my head but it was getting increasingly difficult. The bond liked that he was staring, my wolf and I did not. She curled her lip up and I focused on the councilman speaking.

"Are you admitting that you allowed your two wilds to attack and kill another shifter?" He leaned forward, his grey hair was slicked back and I hid a smile as the two wilds in questions seemed to look at each other in smug satisfaction over the pregnant belly of the Alpha Female.

"No. I simply no longer held them back from doing so." His response was eloquent, as were all of them, but there was that edge of irritation to his tone. It had been going on for a good hour and I certainly hoped my own interrogation wouldn't drag on. I doubted I would be able to stop my wolf from killing someone.

"You could get into serious trouble." It was a stern warning and the man shrugged.

"He threatened my pregnant mate and my unborn children. I removed the threat as is my right." It was clear he held his mate in high regard. I didn't doubt it because her power outweighed his a fair bit. He was nothing to slouch at but hers was simply more.

I liked that she was. I liked that she had the strong Alpha Blood and I liked that she didn't let the position force her into being a submissive broodmare. She was carrying pups, she was carrying a future but how she held her head, her entire posture, spoke of a woman who knew her worth and would not settle for being treated as less.

"And Anto?" The question was accusing. Apparently the Alpha had killed a man and his adult son. Took out an entire family line. Anto apparently had no heirs. My wolf, and I by proxy, were impressed by his brutality in ending a family line.

"Future threat." He said it as if he truly didn't care and my wolf was amused by it. He intrigued her, peaked her interest. It wasn't something that happened often. The only time someone caught her attention was when she demanded their blood.