Chapter 14

A week and a half later

I ran my fingers through my hair. Training had gone well enough for the day and now I was making my rounds through the compound to check on the stock we had on hand. I normally had Mason doing it but I needed to do something or I would go insane. Almost two weeks without seeing Lace and the bond was affecting my sleep and my appetite. It was an incessant itch under my skin that I could never scratch out.

It was hell and it took all I had not to go after the cure for it. Lace was close, she never strayed too far and the bond was getting more and more demanding with that fact. It promised me peace if I were to simply see her, or inhale her scent. It was blackmailing me. I knew it was but I also knew I could do very little to stop it. That was why I was doing the tasks in an attempt to ignore it. It wasn't entirely working to my favour but it at least got me out of my office.

Irritated yet? Mason's voice was slightly mocking and I wanted to roll my eyes at him. He thought it was amusing that I was taking over more and more of his duties. He picked at me constantly about 'lowering myself to do such menial tasks'.

Hardly. I remember how to take stock, Mason. I have been stuck behind a desk not dealing with memory loss. I moved out of the infirmary with a list attached to my clipboard. One that Mason had drug out of some drawer somewhere and gave to me. He told me it made me look more 'official'. He was lucky I hadn't broken it over his head for the remark.

Really? Its been a very long time since you took stock. I just thought that with your age... His voice trailed off and I stopped and blinked for a few moments.

You are older than me. He was seriously idiotic at times. For someone who had just had a newborn child, he was either very tired or his brains had simply disappeared. Even I knew better than to insult an Alpha that wasn't acting normally and I wasn't acting normally.

I am and that gives me full right to pick on you, little brother. He emphasized the word and my wolf growled at the slight disrespect. Normally he didn't care. We loved it when Mason picked at us, it was familiar and was a showing of his love for us but with the bond acting how it was he was on edge with everything, ready to snap at the smallest infractions.

Choose your words carefully, Mason. I am not myself. I didn't wish to harm our relationship due to some carelessly said words. I wasn't entirely in balance with myself. I was trying to remain so but when the bond was yanking my wolf around like it was and I was resisting, it was bound to happen.

Easy, brother. I am trying to distract you. He gave a small chuckle and I knew what he was doing and I appreciated it but there were limits that even I had.

I appreciate it but just be aware that my wolf is on edge. The last thing I needed was Katrina and my mother giving me a lecture because I broke Mason because my wolf snapped a little too hard at him.

I can tell, Azrael. Sneak off to see her. Mother will never know. His voice was chipper and I rolled my eyes as I slowly walked towards the storage freezers. I was fairly certain they were stocked up but I needed to check anyway.

Do you honestly believe that? One could never hide anything from mother, she would always find out. We never knew how she found out what she did but she always managed it.

No, but I thought if I convinced you of it that the resulting chewing out would be entertaining. Of course that would be his end goal. I wanted to be irritated but a smile tugged at my mouth as I opened the door to the storage area. The hum of the freezers were prevalent and there were several shifters carving out two deer on the cutting table. I waved at them with a small smile.