Chapter 25

A few days later

"So... You want me to sleep here?" His eyes were slightly wide as he gestured around him and I shifted on my feet, keeping my face expressionless.

"That is what I have requested, yes." I was growing irritated. I had figured he would be smart enough to simply accept it. I didn't particularly want him sleeping in the house but the boys missed him and I would give them what they wanted.

"Here? In this house?" He looked almost shell shocked and I gave a short nod.

"I have already said so. Why do you need me to reiterate it?" I was growing more irritated with every time he asked me to repeat myself. I didn't like redundant questions. I had stated my request and he had heard it so there was no need to reiterate to the length he was going with.

"Why?" He drug the word out and I resisted the urge to huff out my irritation. The reason why was not important, there was only two responses to my query and that was yes or no. There was nothing about asking redundant questions as if he was a simpleton.

"Because the boys have been asking for you." That was it. Even Caden had asked when he could go for another sleepover with Azrael. I didn't particularly feel comfortable having the boys out of my reach again so Azrael staying in the house was the only logical conclusion to the issue. "I thought you would appreciate the opportunity for more time with the children but if you are going to question me excessively about it, I will retract my offer." I tilted my head as he immediately lifted his hands and shook his head.

"No! No, don't do that! I was just surprised. I mean, I never thought you would take this step." He smiled at me almost cautiously and I gave a rather lazy blink.

"Contrary to how I feel about the bond between us, I am well aware of the fact that you are a great father." I watched his mouth drop open and I wanted to smirk. He was such an emotional shifter, he wore his heart on his shirtsleeve. I knew he had the capabilities of a mask, I had seen it at the Gathering but in his pack and with what he viewed as family, his emotions were easier to read than a book.

"Pardon?" He stared at me, his eyes wide and I shifted my weight to my other foot, fighting back a smirk at his flabbergasted expression.

"I have many issues, Azrael, but being blind is not one of them." I wasn't foolish enough to ignore how well he dealt with the children, my wolf neither. She was satisfied with his care of the pups. Satisfied enough that she was quite partial to him. She no longer saw any need to snap at him or growl in warning. Now the sounds were entirely from me. "The children adore you and I will give them what they wish within reason." There was a limit I would tolerate in giving them what they wished. Allowing their father to spend the night was one thing, spoiling them to the point where they would become unbearable little shits was another entirely.

"Thank you, for the compliment." He smiled at me and I stared at him blankly for a few moments. I would never understand how he took statements as compliments. They were nothing but a statement of fact, of truth.

"It wasn't a compliment, it was a statement of fact. Does the weather say thank you when someone says the days are nice?" Compliments were empty flattery designed to trick someone into thinking you actually like them. They were utterly useless.

"I still appreciate it regardless." He gave me a crooked half grin and I shook my head with a small frown.

"Ah, yes. The ever present need for males to have their egos preened and petted." Damascus had required it as well. So did Bruce. I wondered for a moment if it was simply males who needed it or Alphas. I shook the thoughts off, I didn't desire to preen or pet anyone's ego.