Chapter 13: Part 4

I slowly made my way over to Lander, ignoring the male that was standing behind him. Lander's hands and face were coated in a dark coloured mortar. In fact all the boys had it on them. I could see what Lander had meant when he said they would need to go to the bath house after the ceremony.

"How is Nina?" He looked at the little bundle in my arms and I shifted her against my chest as she squirmed slightly, yawning.

"She is alright. Fed and changed." I patted the bottom of the bundle in an attempt to make sure she stayed asleep. I didn't need her to start fussing and me start having another issue with anxiety as she did so.

"She wasn't fussy?" Lander shifted on his feet as if he was concerned. My wolf and I liked that he was so concerned about his siblings. He was a good boy, very caring and my wolf and I wanted to foster that behaviour in him. There was no weakness in being kind. We would make sure he was strong but strength also came from the ability to show those you loved that you cared.

"She was alright. She acted as infants do." I gesture to the building with my head. "We should get you four washed up so we can head back to the house." I moved towards the front door and Lander moved in front of me, taking the position of protector as he opened the door. I wanted to smile at him, my wolf thought it was cute and I resisted the urge to make he step behind me. He was simply trying to protect his little sister, I understood and accepted that.

I entered the building and the air was warm and humid. I could hear the sounds of water splashing and the murmur of conversation from further into the building. It was a simple log and stone building. I looked around warily as I entered the unfamiliar territory and held Nina a bit tighter as I stepped further into it. A female shifter smiled brightly at me and moved towards me.

"I was wondering when you would be coming in." Her voice was welcoming and I flashed my teeth at her in warning. She stopped short and her smile turned a bit more wary but she seemed to shake it off quickly. "Welcome to the bath house. You can strip down here. We wash the clothing and there are numerous others you can take in return." She gestured to open cupboards that were filled with clothing, they were labelled by size.

"You have a little one so you are going to need a basket." She went to a small stack and grabbed a strange looking foam bowl that had a wicker looking interior. She slowly moved over, holding it out towards me. Lander took it from her and gave her a small smile before he gestured me towards a counter. I moved over and I set Nina down gently before I slipped off my jacket, setting it beside the bundle.

"Get nekked?" Eli came over as he tugged as his jacket and I nodded before crouching down and helping him take his jacket off.

"Yes, take off your clothes so we can have a bath." They all needed one and it would help them wash away what lingered on them. Even if it was just for a moment, it would help them relax and simply be children. Eli nodded as I stood up, the woman had backed off but my wolf still didn't like her presence near the children. "Lander, please help your siblings." I gestured behind me before I pulled my shirt off and kicked out of my boots. I shimmied out of my pants before I picked my clothes up, setting them beside my jacket.

I unbundled Nina carefully, I didn't particularly want to undress her completely. I didn't need to deal with the issues of putting her back in her diaper at the moment. She wiggled slightly as I unsnapped the buttons on her jumper. She smacked her lips as I pulled her jumper off her. I picked her up, it was a strange feeling being skin to skin with the small life. The female moved a bit closer and I bared my teeth at her, a low growl rumbling in the air as a warning. My warning must have been taken in by the boys because I could feel them slowly move towards me, seeking protection away from my perceived threat.