1: Roommates ~ Charlie

Change.

That was what I was after. A change from all the different homes and schools Kira and I had been a part of in the last decade. We had gone through more fresh starts than anyone should have to growing up, but this one was different. Or at least, that's what I kept muttering to myself inside my head.

Even though it was no different than the pictures had made it out to be and nothing overly extravagant - though I will openly admit I envisioned Hogwarts when Kira suggested this - the school was something more for the two of us. It was something new, a place where we had promised each other things would be different. That we would be different. 

"Room 303..." I muttered, taking in the faded numbers on the door. "Think this one's yours, sis."

"We won't be too far away, then," she replied, and smiled, setting her one suitcase on the floor in front of the door. "Give me a hug," she extended her arms. I wrapped mine around her, hugging her as tight as I could. "I'll see you later."

"Later," I replied, pulling back. She turned toward the door. "And sis?" She turned back toward me and I returned her smile in full force. "May the force be with you."

She couldn't help but smile again. She tried to suppress it with a sigh, though. She hid nothing from me, though. "If the force was with me," she paused, picking up her suitcase again. "I wouldn't have to share a room."

"Fair point." 

I wasn't too keen on the idea, either. But it fell within our promise to be different. Friends were a luxury we hadn't been to afford given how often we had changed schools and homes over the years. But this was a blank slate. Besides, this meant I could force someone to endure my sci-fi references. 

It didn't take long to locate room 302, the newest place I would be calling home. Just like Kira's room, the numbers on the door were faded. But somehow that reassured me. It spoke to me that this place had a history.

In my mind, faded seemed more welcoming than shiny and new. But my mind was not one to be trusted as one should never trust something that looks conspicuously like The Lego Movie.

I knocked on the door as I twisted the knob, slowly pushing it open. Part of me was going through a list of ideal roommates. Another part was wondering if this school had a Chamber of Secrets. The rest was paying attention to who my new roommate was.

He was sitting on one of the beds, a book in hand that his eyes were retreating from as they instead looked my way. He had a stocky kind of build about him, maybe an athlete if I had to make a guess. But I wasn't going to make that guess. I've learned the hard way in the past that one should never assume someone is what their appearance might suggest. Not that there was anything wrong with that, but who we are we to assume? We are after all - brain, you're reaching ramble territory. Shut up.

He sat down his book and stood up, stepping towards me. We were roughly the same height, and thankfully the muscular difference wasn't all that apparent. None of that was what I first noticed about him, though. There was a weight behind his eyes.

I only recognized it because I knew that same weight behind my own.

"Hey," I stated, extending my hand. "I guess we're gonna be roommates."

He took my hand, shaking it with a firm grip. "Barist Redguard. Pleased to, uh" he paused, his eyes glossing over my Flash t-shirt. Probably not exactly school regulation. It wasn't judgment I saw in him, though. Surprise, maybe. "Meet you," he finished.

I nodded. "Same to you. I'm Charlie," I pulled my suitcase inside, shutting the door behind me. "But my friends in my head call me Batman." Friends in my head? They were probably taking bets on whether Barist would think I belonged in an asylum or not. Asylum...Arkham Asy - stop it, brain.

I saw him smirk, though. Even if it only lasted for a moment. "Nothing too special going on here..." Barist said, gesturing to the rest of the room. Standard size, two beds as expected, and strangely nice. Like he said, nothing too special. "But uh, I kinda already claimed this side," he looked to where he had been sitting a moment ago. "So..." he gestured to the other, emptier side that would soon be mine.

"Oh, no worries. I'm not particular," I shoved my suitcase over to my side of the room and took a seat on my bed, looking around. Strange. But not a bad strange. Just something I would have to get used to, I supposed. Kira wasn't liking this, I knew. She hated small rooms.

"So..." Barist started, sitting back on his bed and folding his arms. "Batman wearing a Flash shirt?"

"Multitalented," I replied. "What about you? First year here too?" 

He nodded. "Yeah. Things weren't... going my way at my old school. Good grades and Tennis got me a nice ride here, though."

"Tennis. Nice. I would play tennis, but I lack the upper body strength," I paused. "Or just strength in general, really." 

"It's not as hard as you think," he replied. "So, anything important I should know?"

I tilted my head. "I make miscellaneous sci-fi references pretty much all the time. You have been warned," I thought for a long moment before continuing. "That's pretty much the most important thing about me. And I talk a lot. You probably gathered that," he slowly nodded. "So what about you?" I asked.

He shrugged, but then looked away for a long moment. He looked to be somewhere else, hopefully not my mind palace; the TARDIS was crowded enough already. "Nothing too out of the average." he said. And that was it. Fair enough. We'd only just met - it would be rude of me to ask for a life story. He seemed like a nice enough guy, though. There were roommates who could be worse. Like Kylo Ren worse. Let's not go there, brain.

I got to unpacking my miniscule amount of things - nothing too interesting. Our room wasn't to be an overly decorative one, apparently. All I knew for sure was that I had taken a step toward fulfilling my promise. There was still a long road ahead, but it was off to a good start. 

I gripped the old key that I wore around my neck. It may be close to me every day of my life, but every day I also stepped further away from it. Every day would be another step. 

I couldn't wait to see what those days held for me.