1: Roommates ~ Phoenix

I walk down the hallway cautiously, veering my gaze from any potential people. Of course, all doors are closed, but you know, wouldn't want to risk any unnecessary human interaction, right? I chuckle to myself and let myself into the slightly shabby door that reads 303. 

Huh, looks like my roommate isn't here yet, I think to myself. Thank goodness I have some time to myself. Who's my roommate again?........ 

I claim a bed and unclip Lucifer's leash from his collar. He sniffs around warily before finally heaving his muscular, brindle body on top of my bed and sitting down at the foot of it. 

I unpack my bag immediately, put down my violin case, and make sure that everything on my side of the room is perfectly spotless and organized. Cleaned the desk, the dresser, the bed frame...clothes are folded and put away...

After about an hour, I start to wonder if my roommate even exists. Is he/she late? Is he/she dead? Can Lucifer have the spare bed? So many important questions that...I shift my charcoal-colored scorpion necklace between my fingers cautiously, muttering to myself.

Lucifer leaps off the bed and snarls at the door ferociously.

Darn. Looks like I have a roommate after all. 

I stare at the door for a few seconds as I watch the doorknob turn and a faint exasperated sigh flutters under the door.

Lucifer barks and howls viciously.

I hear an alarmed screech come from the opposite side of the door along with a loud thud.

Alright, I've let this person suffer for long enough, I think to myself deviously.

"Zurück," I yell to Lucifer in a strong, formidable tone. 

Lucifer backs away shyly and proceeds to curl up on top of the other bed before I hesitantly approach the door.

However, the door slides open before I reach it, and a timid face peeks out of the gap before spotting me and breaking out into a friendly grin. I stare down at her small stature. Well, small in comparison to my 6'1 frame. I shift my eyes across her slender figure and dark hair that cascaded effortlessly across her shoulders. I look back up at her face and notice a set of unusually gray eyes, which catches me off guard considering that she appears to be Asian. A very attractive one at that. 

"Hi, I'm Rune. It's very nice to meet you. I'm really excited for this year," my roommate says, holding out a hand for me to shake. "What's your name?"

I stare at her, without moving a muscle and nod before stating, "Phoenix," flatly.

After a brief, awkward pause, Rune uncomfortably puts her hand down and states cheerfully, "Well, sorry I'm late." She sets her suitcase down hurriedly near the bed that I had almost given to Lucifer. "I got slightly lost."

Lucifer leapt and snarled at Rune as she attempted to claim her bed, inching her way slowly towards him.

I sighed and said, "This is Lucifer. He hates everyone and everything except for me and will do anything in the world to protect me, including annihilate people, but you don't need to worry as long as you're not alone with him." 

A diabolical smirk spreads across my face. What follows next, however, completely ruins it.

"What? Oh, you mean Giraffe Dog?"

"Giraffe...?!"

"Yeah, Giraffe Dog. I think it really suits him. Anyway, he wouldn't hurt me, right?" Rune reaches a tentative hand towards Lucifer, who growls threateningly. She pulls back immediately, and then pretends like she intended to do that in the first place. "See? Giraffe Dog wouldn't harm a fly."

I roll my eyes. "Sure," I mutter sarcastically. 

Seriously, Giraffe Dog?! He is literally Lucifer himself how can she just casually...

"Well, I'm going to use the restroom, so...don't miss me too much, okay?"

I stared at her blankly, for about the 50th time that conversation. 

"All right, that's the spirit. I'm sure we'll be great friends soon!" She shoots me another smile before entering and closing the bathroom door.

I stare in disbelief as she closes the door behind her. 

She's very ecletic.

"Well what do you think of her?" I ask Lucifer. 

He looks up at me with a pained gaze. "Trust me, boy, I know. Get used to her, though, okay?" I say to him. 

He slumps back down in his spot. 

"Me too, buddy. Me, too."