(25) This Is The End

Chapter 25

<Please don’t forget to vote! :D :D

                “That… was a lot harder than I remember it being,” I choked out. I had my hand on the post of Brent’s bed and I was doubled over, trying to catch my breath.

                “What’s wrong?” Brent asked.

                “Nothing,” I replied. “It’s just… I don’t remember you stairs being so lengthy.”

                Brent grinned at me. “Well, Hails, it has been about five years since we’ve done that.”

                “So?” I asked. “Your stairs are still going to be the same length.”

                “Everything seems to be lengthier whenever you run,” Brent said.

                “Oh, well I guess that makes sense,” I said, pushing myself off the post and dropping like a bag of sand on Brent’s bed.

                He appeared above me with a smirk on his face. “What? I thought you were going to beat me. Seems like you had a tough time!”

                I closed my eyes and sighed. “I did beat you. And I didn’t, it’s just that your stairs took the wind out of me.”

                I felt the weight of Brent’s body sink the mattress. I opened my eyes and saw that he was hovering above me, his hands on either side of my head. His face was inches from mine. “Hon, you only won because I let you win.”

                “No! I won because I tripped you!”

                “And you think I really sat on the ground for so long because I was hurt?”

                “Well, no. But-“

                “I stayed on the ground to let you win. I was going to intentionally trip whenever we were at the top of the stairs. I saw how red your face turned.”

                “Well, it didn’t turn red because I was embarrassed or anything,” I said, and blushed despite myself.

                “I know you didn’t. It was because you were tired.”

                “Oh,” I said. “Well, ok I guess.”

                “But you’re blushing now,” Brent said, leaning his face closer to mine. Our noses were touching.