(31) Opportunity Knocks

Chapter Thirty-One

Please vote guys! The end of the Watty Awards is coming up, and I really need them!

Thank you! <3

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

                I didn’t really run that far. I went out of my neighborhood, and walked four blocks to the gas station. I went in, got a large fountain Diet Coke, and went up to the cashier.

                “Hello, miss, did you find everything you needed today?” the small man said with a Mediterranean accent.

                “Mhm,” I agreed absentmindedly. I let my eyes wander around, and I located a box of Swedish Fish. I ran up to the rack to snatch one, and smiled on my way back to pay. My favorite.

                I set the box down on the counter, and furrowed my brows when I saw that my cup had not moved, nor had the man said anything about my total. Slowly raising my eyes up to meet his, I saw the picture right on the counter. It was a picture of me, and right under it were the words: Missing.

                Meeting his eyes, I narrowed mine. “Can I help you?” I asked.

                “They have found you?” he asked with glee. Clapping his hands, he smiled at me. “They have found you?”

                “Um, sure,” I replied, unsure of why he was so excited. I peered down at my candy and soda, and pushed them towards him pointedly. He didn’t seem to notice.

                “ Yes, yes! This means I get a reward!”

                I put up my hand. “What?”

                “Yes, Ms. Hailee. I told them on your whereabouts. I am surprised this hasn’t been on the news. Maybe they are coming to interview me-“

                “Whoa,” interjected, pushing my hand closer to his face. I put my other hand on my hip, and prepared myself for this new wave of information. “My whereabouts?”

                “Yes, yes! I saw you wandering around some time ago,” he told me.

                Narrowing my eyes, I put both of my hands on the counter, leaning closer to him. “Where.”

                He grimaced, obviously intimidated by my demeanor. “Well, walking around-“

                “It’s freezing cold,” I snapped. “Do you really think I’d be walking around in this weather?”