Part 4

MADDI'S P.O.V.

We both fell out the room, breathless. Fury seemed to have forgotten the rest of the meeting, so we were free until 12 when they'd take us to discuss our new identities and what they carried with them, along with our uniforms.

Bethan couldn't quite believe what she'd just heard. The Rose Baron. Healer; Helper. This role was made for her entirely. I was rather sure she had some kind of trouble breathing in that moment, as she was in a mix of laughing and screaming.

Significance at its finest.

Apparently, we'd get our first briefing tomorrow, and go on the field with Barton and Romanoff, wherever that'd take us.

I was now Miss Hex.

I'm nowhere near cunning enough to fulfill that role; or at least what Fury expects from it. I couldn't let him down. I couldn't let the world down.

But then, I heard a voice from Fury's office.

I put my hand over Bethan's mouth and stomped on the grated floor, to make it seem like we had walked away, each step getting smaller and smaller, and then I pressed my ear to the door.

"I know they're new, but they have potential, and they could be what we need. We need a healer, and someone who isn't as reliant as Romanoff. What if Earth needs it?"

"Director Fury, these agents haven't even been on the field yet!"

"They will be in the Asylum tomorrow. I'm going to ignore your stupid ass decision for the time being."

"Director Fury we need to-"

The line was cut off, and I heard pacing towards the door.

It was a big room. We had time.

Behind us, there was railing, and beneath that was nothing for a good 500 feet. This was the aircraft hanger.

"Trust me." I hissed, before grabbing Bethans hand and sliding over the railings, swinging violently over the edge. She covered her mouth to stop the scream coming, and grasped the handles underneath the pathway just in time.

"Why the hell do you always have to take the difficult way out?!" She viciously whispered.

Just then, the door banged open. I could see Fury through the metal grating. Peering his head out, he clearly couldn't see us. He sighed, and walked back in, leaving his door open.

Bethan and I shimmied over to the left, towards a small docking platform at our level, clutching onto these handles with everything we had, and as quietly as possible so Fury wouldn't hear. I could hear her mumbling very quietly under her breath something about me being fucking difficult; and shaking her head profusely. I struggled to stifle a laugh.

Very shortly, we had arrived at the platform. I dropped onto the grated metal floor as carefully as I could, and grabbed Bethan's arm and pulling her onto the platform. She rubbed her arms and hands, which had both gone very red from clinging on to the bar. A pang of guilt was brewing, but I elected to ignore it; as I observed her.

"You could've got us both killed, you idiot." She mumbled.

I kind of got the vibe I'd ruined the good news.

"Look, I was trying to get us away!" I argued.

"Well we could've gone the way most people do, I.E. the fucking corridor! I wish you were... you were... Thor!" Bethan stressed.

"You're so annoying, you idiot."

She shook her head.

"I'm tired of you being so mysterious and unpredictable, Madds. Please just work with me here."

"We might be assigned with different agents anyway, Bethan. Just stop worrying. I'm a big girl." I laughed.

She sighed heavily and walked up the mesh stairs in silence, before walking back down to me.

I didn't really know what to do. It's not like what I had done was really wrong, I'd saved our jobs for sure.

"What did Fury even say?"

"Something about an Asylum, I think."

"Before that." She said quietly.

"I think we've gotta be at the outfit and identity fitting now Bethan, come on, we can't keep Agent Romanoff waiting." I murmured. I couldn't get her hopes up. If I'd heard what I thought I'd heard, we were about to be in for a huge ride.

We took to the stairs in silence, and to the room where we would be fitted.

"Hello, girls. I'm Natasha, and I'll be your 'Mentor'."