1.0

COLBY SAT NEXT to Elijah on the couch, flipping through his journal

COLBY SAT NEXT to Elijah on the couch, flipping through his journal. Whether he knew or not, he didn't seem to mind much. Elijah was reading one of his mother's grimoires, and Klaus was reading through a copy of "A Poison Tree" by William Blake. The dead woman on the coffee table between them made Colby feel uncomfortable, but she chose to avoid mentioning it as classical music played in the background. Rebekah soon walked into the living room, throwing her hands out to her sides in disbelief.

"So, this is what you do the first time we're back together as a family? Vampire book club?" Rebekah asked incredulously. Colby raised her hand, not looking up from the journal.

"Not a vampire." She stated, a smile dancing on her lips as she finally glanced up at the blonde vampire.

"Reading edifies the mind, sister. Isn't that right, Elijah?" Klaus said, looking up at his brother.

"Yes, that's quite right, Niklaus." Elijah replied, making Colby stifle a laugh. Rebekah gestured to the dead girl on the coffee table.

"And what's this business? Hardly a good thing to keep around in the presence of a young girl." Rebekah said, while nodding her head towards Colby. Elijah looked up from the grimoire, sighing.

"This is a peace offering, of sorts. My deepest apologies, Colby." Elijah said, before looking at Colby, who shrugged slightly, and continued to avoid looking directly at the body.

"It's uncomfortable, but I'm technically a guest in your home. I'm not about to start complaining about what you do in your free time, even if it's gross." Colby said, shutting the journal, and setting it on the couch next to her.

"I presumed, after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother might be a bit peckish." Klaus explained, making Elijah sigh.

"And I explained to my little brother, that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behavior that indicates contrition, and personal growth." Klaus looked almost guilty as Elijah gestured to the dead girl. "Not this nonsense."

"Well, I couldn't very well let her go to waste, could I?" Klaus questioned in amusement, making Colby scrunch her nose up in distaste.

"Well, I suppose I'll go fetch the rubbish bin, because she's staining a two hundred-year-old carpet." Rebekah snapped, before abruptly stomping out of the room. Elijah looked up from his book as he saw that blood was dripping from the girl onto the carpet.

"Ah, gross," Colby mumbled, standing from the couch, and making her way into the kitchen, where Hayley was making herself breakfast. "Good morning, Hayley!" Colby chirped, grabbing an apple and from the bowl on the counter.