1.2

KLAUS HAD LEFT them under the excuse that he had "business to attend to"

KLAUS HAD LEFT them under the excuse that he had "business to attend to". Elijah just rolled his eyes, deciding on going for a quick walk around Bienville Park with Colby before returning home.

"I am sorry for that horrible business you witnessed earlier at the Church." Elijah said, watching Colby kick around a stray stone she found along the path. Colby shrugged, looking up at him.

"It's alright. I've come to expect some unpleasant things while being friends with your family." Elijah smiled, looking out ahead of him.

"Friends, hm?" He asked in amusement. Colby laughed, eyes lighting up with joy.

"Oh hell yeah, Elijah! You didn't think I've been living with you guys this entire time and not think of you as friends, did you?" Elijah couldn't hold back the chuckle that escaped from him, watching the young girl jump excitedly around him. There was a question itching at the back of his mind, and while he didn't want to ruin the good mood, he had to ask, if only to put Agnes' warning completely out of his mind.

"What happened to your mother?" He asked gently. Colby paused for a moment, looking back at him.

"Well," She looked to a park bench, gesturing for Elijah to come with her as she sat down, him sitting next to her. "I was ten, so it was about seven years ago now. She started getting sick. Like, so sick she couldn't get out of bed. Eventually, Claire told me that they had to move her to some place where she could get help. A hospital, I assumed. I was wrong, as it turns out, but I didn't know that until recently." Elijah furrowed his eyebrows, looking at her in confusion.

"Where did they take her?" Elijah asked, watching as Colby pointedly avoided his gaze.

"They took her to the cemetery, in one of the mausoleums. The witches thought they could help her. My mom was, literally, losing her mind. At least, that's just what everyone thought. I didn't get to see my mom much after she got moved from the apartment." Colby began to play with her fingers, placing them in her lap. She absently twiddled her thumbs as she took a deep breath. "Claire took her to the bayou in the end. My mom wanted it that way, I guess. See, a banshee's loudest scream, is the one signifying their own death. It's powerful enough to where it could possibly kill people nearby. My mom didn't want to put anyone in danger, so she wanted to be moved out to the bayou." Colby paused, her eyes burning lightly. "I had a dream about it. Her death. I saw it happen. When she screamed – god, it was awful. The wolves; they were there. After she died, they howled for her. I remember waking up that night to the howling of the wolves. I remember feeling like something was wrong, but I was only ten, so I ignored it and went back to sleep. I had no idea my mother had just died or that my aunt was with the witches, already planning her funeral." Colby sniffled lightly, wiping away stray tears. She didn't cry often, it wasn't something she liked to do. But she missed her mom.

Colby felt an arm slowly slide around her shoulders, Elijah pulling her into his side. She almost rested her head on his shoulder before remembering that they really had to get home.