Chapter 13 - Stop.

“Um. Why are Mr C’s things here” Ryan asked placing the items on the bench. I looked down at the wallet and keys and back up at the boys, then to the coffees, trying to come up with a lie, any lie.

“He went back out last night with his sober driver buddy and asked me to look after his keys and wallet. Just so he didn’t spend too much or lose his keys” I said, as naturally as I could. Although it was difficult and probably came off a little stiff.

At that moment there was a knock at my front door.

“That’ll probably be him now, he must have had a wild night.” I said a little to dramatically, walking past the bench and picking the items up as I went. I opened the door and there stood Matt, eyes wide with worry. I handed the keys and wallet over and said as loudly as I could without looking crazy.

“So, Hope you had a good night with your friends. Don’t expect me to be your bag lady whenever you want to restrain yourself from indulgence okay”

Matt smiled at me and nodded, and as he took the wallet and keys his hands brushed mine. I felt my face redden a little.

“Thank you Elliot. Yes I did have a great night. Met a beautiful girl and ya know, I think it might be love at first sight” he crooned, I bit back a grin.

“Spare me the gruesome details please. See you in class tomorrow” I retorted

“Bye” he said audibly, adding a ‘I love you’ silently.

I mouthed a ditto back before I closed the door and walked back in to the dining room and kitchen.

“Why were they on the floor?” Jake questioned suspiciously

“Well, I’d hazard a guess that she probably walked inside last night and threw the things in frustration at being a bag lady” Louise said with a hopeful face.

“Bingo, exactly it” I laughed pouring hot water in to the mugs.

The rest of the day was spent playing on the xbox which was great fun, and I felt at peace with my friends. I was sad Matt couldn’t join in, that my choice of boyfriend was so far off the normal teenage track my own friends couldn’t meet him as such.

After everyone went home at 5 I cleaned up the picnic stuff then had a shower. After I dressed I went down stairs and walked in to the dining room to grab my school books. My heart dropped to the very pit of my stomach when I looked over at the table. There was a single rose stem sitting on top of my books and petals everywhere.

I took a step forward tentatively, my heart pounding furiously. Underneath the stem this time there was a post it note. With only the words. “stop” and a small picture of a dagger next to it. I felt sick.

I left my books and ran upstairs to my bedroom and slammed the door shut locking it behind me.

I grabbed my phone and called Matt, but he wasn’t home so I called his cell.

“Hey, whats up? Can’t get enough of me huh?” Matt laughed

“Someone is trying to freak me out” I whispered, scared that I was being watched or listened to right now.

“What do you mean Ellie?” Matt said, his voice suddenly changing to concern

“Well the other night there was a single rose stem at the door, the petals thrown around and I just put it down to the wind. I went downstairs and there was another, on my books same thing… but this time there was a note” I said quietly. Sitting in the corner of my bedroom out of sight of the window and the door.