Chapter 23 - Buried Alive

I climbed in to bed and pulled the blankets over me. I let sleep wash over me.

Unlike the night before I had a ‘dream’ I was trapped in a small box, the air getting harder to breath in, dirt filling in the box. I pounded on the walls but no one came, no one could hear me.

I shot up in my bed and gulped for air. My hands flew to my neck and I was thankful it was only a dream. I glanced over at the clock. I’d only been asleep two hours. I frowned and hopped out of my bed. I walked down the hall to the other guest bedroom that had become Matt’s bedroom now he was living here. I knocked on the door.

“Hello?” He called out softly.

I peeked my head through the door crack and muttered “Nightmare”

Matt flicked on his lamp and pulled back the covers. I averted my eyes when I realised he was topless and I tip toed across the floor. I lay down and pulled the blankets back up.

“You don’t have to make up reasons to share my bed with me El” he murmured flicking the light back off.

“I’m not!” I protested “I really did have a bad dream, I was buried alive this time” I croaked

“Relax, I was joking. Those dreams sound horrible. I’m sorry” he replied turning over to face me.

I could barely make out his facial features in the dark,  but what I couldn’t see I had stored in my memory anyway.

“It’s alright, it’s not your fault I’m a basket case”

“You’re not a basket case Ellie”

“Yeah I am, but It’s alright, I’ve realised today I don’t need to have control of everything. Falling apart and asking for help is completely normal”

“Letting your feelings out is only going to help you heal Ellie, I’m really happy you’re able to see that”

“To be honest, had I not seen Julie and Mason, I’d still be heading toward a path of self destruction. But I did see them, and even though I would do anything to take back that night, I’m glad I’ve found a path”  I whispered laying my head back on the pillow. Matt sighed softly and he lay back too.

“You going to school tomorrow?” He asked whilst yawning

“Yeah. No doubt it’ll be difficult. I’m more prepared for that now though” I mused

“Plus, Louise Mel and the boys will be there, you won’t be completely alone”

“I wish you were going to be there too” I remarked without thinking. Why was I reminding him about the very thing I had cost him.

“Me too, but every ending has a new beginning El. Besides, I’ve got Mason to play Nerf Guns with” he laughed.

We talked for a little bit longer, until my eye lids could no longer force themselves to stay open. Sleep came over me without me even realising it. I dreamt again, but this time it wasn’t a nightmare.

I was standing on the beach, the sun beaming down on me. Louise and Ryan were to my left down the beach a little bit. Louise looked stunning she was in a white dress. A wedding dress.

I smiled as I watch them walk along the beach hand in hand. Until I realised I was standing alone. I looked down and my stomach was rounded, very rounded. Pregnant.

A warm feeling of love washed over me and I rubbed my belly. I felt arms wrap around me, but when I looked there was no one there.