Chapter 20 - The Blame Game.

The next two hours were a blur. The effects of the drug Adam had given me were beginning to wear off and the reality of the situation was becoming clearer.

“Miss Andrews, Your friends are in the waiting room. I’ve said that visiting is only for family” A nurse said, walking in, checking my IV line.

“They’re my only family” I croaked “let them in”

“Alright. The police will be by this afternoon, so try and get some rest today” she said softly, her hand brushing mine. I shrugged and turned over. Rest? Really.

A few minutes later Louise, Ryan and Jake walked in the door. Louise ran to the bed and engulfed me in her arms. I knew she’d heard it all. Heard what he’d been doing to me because she wouldn’t let me go. Ryan and Jake sat down and I heard them sniffling.

“I’m alive guys” I said, attempting optimism, but I sounded more defeated than anything, almost as though death would have been preferable. Louise lay with me on the bed and ran her fingers through my hair.

The boys fell asleep some time later and Louise kissed my forehead

“I’m so sorry. I got Ryan to yell at the police, I told them to get here now. I screamed. I wanted to run in, Jake had to hold me back.” She cried.

“You did the right thing Lou, I’m alive, and pretty much in one piece because you did the right thing.”

“I was so scared”

“I was too” I replied “Wheres Matt” I whispered finally, I’d been scared to ask earlier because I was worried the answer would kill me.

“He’s at the police station” Ryan exclaimed waking up

“why?” I said sitting up, my head pounding as I did so, I remembered the whack to the head and lay back slowly

“He’s answering questions.” Louise assured me “He’ll be here as soon as he is done”

I glanced over at the wall clock and caught a glance at my face. I had a black eye, and a huge bandage on the right hand side of my head. The time was 10am. I’d probably been trapped in that basement for 3 hours, but it had felt like a lifetime. Finally the door opened and Matt walked in. He looked angry, like he wanted to punch something

“hey guys, we’ll go get coffee” Louise suggested standing up. The guys stood up and they walked out of the room. Matt paced the floor, the anger in him not disapating in the slightest.

“Matt” I whispered “Come here” I pleaded patting the bed down. I longed for his arms around me, his protective arms. He shook his head and sat on one of the chairs the boys had been sitting on.

“I did this to you Elliot” He exclaimed, he voice broken “they were people who had a problem with me… this is my fault” he cried, his head hanging

“No, please don’t blame yourself, they’re the sickos. You found me”

“Yeah but if I’d never crossed the line with you, none of this would be happening now” he exclaimed, his voice hopeless and despondent. He refused to look at me, his gaze firmly on the floor

“See, I was too selfish. I knew I was falling for you, and instead of denying it like I should have. I welcomed it because it felt good.” He said so quietly I almost couldn’t hear him

“Matt, please don’t” I pleaded, I wanted to find the words to reassure him, but my head was fuzzy and I couldn’t think straight enough to say the right words.