Chapter 22 - Seeing the Pain.

When I woke in the morning I had the headache from hell. I turned and looked at my clock, 8.30am. I’d managed to sleep through the alarm, which was unusual. I groaned remembering the shower. Matt dressing me, and me being horribly rude.

It was for the best really, after all I was tainted, him being nice to me all the time was only holding him back. I forced myself out of bed and wandered down the stairs to the kitchen.

“Here” matt said coolly, holding out a glass and two advil “Don’t make alcohol your escape Ellie. I emptied out the liquor cabinet.” he warned, I snapped my head back annoyed by his comment. I pushed his hand away and continued walking in to the kitchen. I poured a cup of black coffee and took a long drink

“Who are you supposed to be huh? My Dad” I seethed.

Who did he think he was, treating me like that.

“I want to help you Elliot, but you keep pushing me away”

“I don’t want your help Matt.” I yelled, I threw the cup in the sink and it smashed. I momentarily felt bad about it, but pushed the feeling away. I ran upstairs and back in to my room, slamming the door loudly behind me.

I spent the next week skipping school and drinking myself to oblivion. It was easier to cope when I was inebriated because I just stopped thinking.

I avoided Louise and boys and ignored any texts and calls that came my way. I could see myself self destructing, a train wreck waiting to happen, but I didn’t care. Everyday became the same, wake at 12pm, shower, raid the liquor cabinet in the basement that Matt didn’t know about and drink until late at night. Of course, matt would try to stop me, pleading for me to stop. I’d be horribly rude and he’d leave me alone.

Today wasn’t meant to be any different. I woke at 12.40pm and I headed down to the basement to get vodka, or rum I knew there was a bottle of either left. When I got there the cabinet was dry.

I scowled and stomped up the stairs to the kitchen.

“Where is it?” I said calmly

“What?”

“My alcohol. You took it, you have no right!” I yelled

Matt’s eyes narrowed and he pointed to the bench, the vodka and rum were both empty. He’d poured them out. I huffed and ran upstairs to my room.

I wanted him to stop treating me like a porcelain doll, like I was on the edge of shattering. I’m not. I am fine. I grabbed clothing from my wardrobe and changed. I ran back down the stairs and out the back door ignoring Matt as I went.

I hopped in my car and drove in to the city.

Usually I noticed how beautiful it was, with the landscaping the council had done. Flowers and trees planted along the main street to brighten the day of each passer by.

However this time I saw darkness. Homeless on the street cold and wet in the rain, boys fighting, a young mother crying outside the hostel with bags.

I pulled the car in to a park and ran over to the young lady. She looked about my age, maybe a year or two older, and she had a little boy of about 5 with her. Something hit me, something I’d not really noticed before. An overwhelming sense of empathy.

“Are you alright?” I soothed, my hand gently touching her shoulder.

The young woman turned and looked at me, tears in her eyes. The rain fell over her and her child and I knew I had to fix this. I picked her bags up and took her and her son to my car.