Chapter 13 - Leisure Tourist

SUE

"What do you think?" I say to Jesse.

"It is a beautiful display. I can't think of anything that I would want to change," he says.

I'm glad that my brother liked it. I made a mock display on a table with my ideas for the food festival tomorrow. Since I heard the committee expected us to have a stall, I have been racking my brain for ideas. If we made actual food, it would have been easier. I went through every shelf, drawer, and the storage and wrote down every article that we could show and sell.

"We will be better prepared for next year. This idea is the best I could do on such short notice," I say, taking pictures with my phone.

"I'm happy that you took charge of this. I can make stuff, but I'm not the best at displaying it."

After packing the items carefully in tissue and placing it in boxes, we head to open the store. It is busier than usual. Some people brought tablecloths to fix that will be used in the festival, and a few came to buy earthenware pieces from Jesse to display their food. I can't complain when I ran a report in the early afternoon and saw our revenue.

"Good afternoon," Sierra says, entering the store.

It is a miracle that Jesse's cheeks have not split from his grin. We have invited Sierra to stay with us for the rest of her vacation. I spoke with Eric, and he agreed to it. We both noticed how much Jesse likes her and, to be honest; she is a lovely person.

"How did it go with Tom?" Jesse says.

"It went great. I was concerned because I know that he and his employees were busy with the preparations for tomorrow. He was so kind. We took a stroll through his nursery, and he told me everything that he knows about his family and the village. Before I left, he gave me this bag with fruit," Sierra says, lifting the heavy bag.

"He is a good man. He charges for his fruit because he has employees to pay. Otherwise, I think he would love to feed the world for free," I say.

A woman enters the store and looks around. She seems as if looking for something in particular.

"Good afternoon ma'am. Let me know if I can help you with anything," I say to the woman.

"I'm looking for some paintings. I'm staying at the Cloverfield B&B, and they have these beautiful landscapes. I was hoping to find them somewhere," she says, showing me her mobile.

"I haven't seen this before. Jesse, this is more up your field," I say, and my brother and Sierra come to see the photo.

"Oh, I asked Mrs. Constance about them. She told me that the guy that delivers the packages painted them," Sierra says.

"Indeed. This is one of Harry's paintings. He lives in an apartment on top of the flower shop. Sue, why don't you bring her there?" Jesse says to me.

"Okay. I can bring you," I say, knowing that my brother wants a little privacy.

While walking towards the center, I chat a bit with the woman called Lola. She is here on her own on a leisure trip, looking for peace and relaxation after a busy period at her work.

We head up the stairs next to the flower shop, and I knock on the door. Harry opens it, and his face shows surprise when he sees me there.

"Hey, Harry. She is Lola, and she is a guest at Cloverfield. She is interested in your paintings. I don't know if you have more."

He opens the door wider and motions for us to come inside. The apartment is tiny and in what normally would be a living room, I see many canvases and an easel.

Lola heads to scan the paintings, and Harry and I stand next to each other in awkward silence. I gaze around the room and see a little painting on top of a desk. The woman looks just like me.

Lola makes his mind about two paintings and gives a check to Harry. She then heads back to Cloverfield, and I'm left alone with Harry.

"Is that me?" I say, pointing at the picture and he nods. "Are you ever going to talk to me?"

"I have little to say."

"Well, let's start with a few details. Since when do you paint?"

"My whole life. I have a degree in art."

"Why are your paintings in Cloverfield?"

"Mrs. Constance saved me from starving. In exchange for food and lodging, I ran errands and did maintenance work at her place. Once I got a job and this place, I gave her the paintings as a thank you."

"How come you were starving?"

"I thought I could make a career as an artist. My parents told me I was a fool, and that I was wasting my time. I left the city and headed to the sea to paint there. I didn't do well and ran out of money soon. I came to Clover to look for a job, and I wasn't in the best shape. I went to Old Simon to check if he needed help, and Mrs. Constance was there. She felt pity for me and told me she could use some help. The first thing she did was cook a big meal for me."

"Is that why you think so little of yourself?"

"Look around you, Sue. This is not the life of a successful person. This is all I can afford."

"Lola paid you a good amount of money for your work. If you could sell more..."

"This was an exception. People don't know who the hell I am."

I look around and see a few small paintings, as big as a sheet of paper. He has captured close up looks of fruit and vegetables. Probably inspiration from the market.

"How many do you have of those?" I say, pointing at the pictures.

"I think about twelve."

"Pack them. I will display them this weekend at our stall. We will see how people react to them. If they sell, I can show your art in my shop and charge you a small commission."

Harry stares at the paintings.

"Why would you do that? I'm not a Garnett," he says, looking back at me.

"Because I believe in you and I think you are talented."

"I have received little kindness in my life. Thanks, Sue."

"Always."

I cup his cheek and place a light kiss on his lips.

"I never thanked you properly for saving me at the club," I say.

"Please, don't give me false hopes."

"This is not the end," I say and kiss him again.