Chapter 22 - Camping Tourists

ERIC

"Jesse, Karina just wants to mess you. You can't believe what she said," I say as I help Jesse put our bags in the trunk of our rental car.

"It's been almost a week since Sierra left and I have heard nothing about her. I called her, and the message said that the number was not in service. She hasn't emailed me either," he says.

"Have you emailed her?" Sue asks.

"I tried, but didn't know what to write. Everything I typed was stupid and sounded desperate."

"You are an idiot," Sue says, making me laugh.

We get in the car and start driving towards the camping site. The trees look beautiful in their fall colors, and the air feels crisp.

"This is it," Jesse says.

In front of us, there is a big arch with the words Gray Wolf Ranch cast in iron letters. We park the car and head to the reception.

"Good morning! Welcome to Gray Wolf Ranch," says a tall guy with short black hair standing behind the reception.

"Hello, we are too early to check in. Our parents are staying here, and we were wondering if you can help us find them," I say to him.

"Sure, but let me check your reservation first. Maybe I can accommodate you," he says, and I hand him the papers. He types our information into the system and smiles. "Eric, Jesse and Sue Garnett... you are the children of Herb and Susan then."

"You know our parents?" Jesse says with surprise.

"Everybody around here knows them. Is it true that a bull hurt you?" The guy says to me while looking at my crutches.

"Yeah, I still can't believe it myself. Sue's boyfriend also got hurt trying to protect her, and she got an injury from the fall."

"What a story! One more to add to the bunch that your parents have told everybody."

I look at Jesse, who is blushing. We all know that most of those stories have to do with him.

"If you give me until noon, I can place you at one of the lodges with disabled facilities. They are roomier and more comfortable for you."

"That is very thoughtful, thanks," I say.

"Anything for the Garnetts. By the way, I'm Rowtag Marshall, one of the ranch's owners," he says, and we all shake hands with him. "If you need any medical help, my wife is a nurse and works at the first aid post. My sister-in-law is a doctor, and her practice is very close by..." Rowtag stops talking and starts laughing. "I'm sorry, this is senior week at the resort, and I have said that too many times already."

He takes a map of the premises and marks the place where we can find our parents.

"Here you go. Send them my regards and congratulate your father once again for winning the Mr. Gray Wolf competition last night."

We walk towards the field where tons of caravans and campers stand. Sue is laughing.

"I can't believe that Papa joined a beauty pageant," she says.

"I wonder what else they have been up to," I say.

We arrive at their lot, and I smile at the sight of an embroidered tablecloth waving in the wind, the colorful pots with cacti and a wooden bowl filled with pine cones. Their farewell gifts from us.

Jesse knocks on the closed door of the caravan. Jesse knocks on it. We hear a click, and as it opens, Dad is standing there dressed in a t-shirt and boxers. He looks at us three with a sleepy face and then his eyes widen.

"Susan! Wake up! You won't believe this," he says, stepping out and grabbing us in a hug.

Mom stands by the door frame, dressed in a long nightgown and her hair sticking out in different places. Her hands move to her mouth in surprise.

"My babies are here!" she says, coming outside and squeezing the life out of us. "What are you doing here? You should be in bed."

"Well, you two certainly were still in bed. Did you have an eventful evening?" I say.

"It was... fun," Mom says, looking at Dad.

"So Herb Garnett, how does it feel to win the Mr. Gray Wolf competition?" Jesse says, putting an imaginary microphone in front of Dad's mouth.

"You heard about that," he says, looking mortified. "They made me wear a wig and dance like Madonna. Alex will pay for making me do that."

"Who is Alex?" Sue says between fits of laughter.

"The MC of the entertainment team. We have been playing the games and sports competitions, and he knows our names," Mom says with pride.

"Hey Herb, put on some pants!" one of their neighbor yells. Dad smiles and gives him a wave.

"That is the guy that lost to your father," Mom says. Sue is now snorting from the laughter. "Come inside. Have you had breakfast?"

Even in the middle of a campsite, it feels good to come home. Mom makes heaping piles of pancakes in the tiny stove of their camper. We are all squeezed around the table, and I wish Ellen were here.

"How is everybody doing at Clover?" Mom says while topping our coffee.

"Everybody is fine and send their regards," I say.

"Eric has a girlfriend," Sue says, hiding her smile with her cup.

"Were you ever going to tell us?" Mom asks in a scolding tone.

"Sue has a boyfriend!" I say while my sister glares at me. "You started it," I mouth at her.

"Who is this guy? Do I know him?" Dad says seriously.

"It is Harry, from the post office," she blurts.

"No man is good enough for my little princess, but I guess that if I had to pick one, then Harry is my choice. Decent man," Dad says.

"Harry looks a lot like one of the Colfield kids. I read in a magazine that the Colfield boy is posing as a painter and living in one of the villages. I wonder if we have ever come across him," Mom says.

"Mama, Harry is Harold Colfield. I had the pleasure of meeting his mother and is something I want to forget. I understand why he left them," Sue says.

"Wow! A celebrity living among us," Mom says delightedly.

"Don't say that when you see him. You will embarrass him," Sue says, shaking her head.

"What about you? Who is your girl?" Dad says to me, gesturing with his fork.

"Ellen is a developer that moved to Clover a few months ago. We are into the same hobbies. She went through a nasty breakup like me, so it took us a while to get over it and figure that we liked each other."

"Is she pretty?" Mom asks.

"Yeah, very," I say, smiling, thinking of her.

"What about you Jesse? No girlfriend?" Dad asks.

We all look at my brother, who has been silent. He stands up and walks outside. I grab my crutches and follow him. He walks towards the forest, and I can hear him sniffling.

"Jesse," I say, and he turns around.

His eyes are teary, and he rubs his nose.

"I love her, Eric."

I shift my weight to my good leg and open my arm. I hug Jesse and pat his back gently.

"It will be alright. We will help you."

He nods and I clean his tears.

"Come. Let's enjoy our time here and we will work on a plan when we get back."

I have never seen Jesse like this, and I will do everything in my power to help him.