Chapter 35 - Wedding Tourist

A year later

JESSE

I get in the car and close the door with a little more force than necessary. I need to get this torture device off me. I pull at it, and it just gets tighter around my neck.

"Get it off! I can't breathe! Don't laugh, Sierra."

My girlfriend is sitting next to me and is laughing her ass off at my misery. She takes my hand off the tie and does something magical as I get released from it.

"Why do men have to wear ties?" I say and rub my neck. "I will never ask Mom again to make a tie knot for me. I don't know how Dad can stand it."

"Oh, come on, Jesse. You must have worn a tie often," Sierra says, kissing my cheek and placing the discarded tie in her purse.

"The last time was at my master's degree graduation. That was six years ago. I have stayed tie-less that long. I'm grateful that Harry didn't make me wear one."

"That is because they got married at the beach and it wasn't necessary to wear that. This wedding is different. I don't know why you are complaining so much about a tie. Let's not start on the spandex underwear under this dress. It's like being swallowed by a boa constrictor."

"Okay, you win then. I thought it would never end. How many photos do that photographer have to take? The one at Harry and Sue didn't take as many."

An hour ago we were at the town's chapel celebrating Eric and Ellen's wedding ceremony. I felt honored when they asked me to be their best man. I felt less honored when they told me to wear a suit. I felt uneasy when the photographer took an extra hour making photos. Camera equipment gives me nightmares.

"Because they invited much more family than your sister did," Sierra says. "Harry only had his sister over. Ellen has a big family, and well, your parents invited the whole town."

"That was a perfect day. Everybody sitting at the long table and the food was delicious. No dancing and just relaxing."

"What do you have against dancing? I have seen you dance," she says and smiles naughtily. "You have great moves... if we were living in the eighties."

"Hey, I have great moves," I say, making her laugh. "It is the whole thing about people watching you I don't like."

We arrive at the brand new lodging complex where Ellen and Eric are going to live. Not long ago, we attended the opening ceremony. Ellen already has reservations and is looking forward to starting the full operation after the wedding.

We head towards the yard in the middle of the property, where there are many tables covered with white tablecloths. String lights adorn the trees of this beautiful place, and you would expect a fairy to fly past you. We head to the wedding party table when I notice that my brother, Harry and my dad have also taken off their ties. The Garnett boys rather dress in jeans and a plain shirt.

"Two down, one to go. When are you going to marry that darling?" Dad says to me, referring to Sierra, who is talking to my sister and Ellen. "Don't let that one go. She gave up a lot for you."

I know he is right. Sierra left her life in a city to move to Clover Village. She has adapted well to life in the countryside and has made many friends. Also, Sue and Ellen adore her.

"I'm aware of that. I know I will make Sierra my wife one day, but I'm enjoying each day with her. I'm different from Eric and Sue. Just like a good piece of pottery, you need to take your time or it will shatter in the oven."

Dad pats my face and smiles warmly at me.

"Well, I'm proud of the pottery pieces that I call my children. You three turned out perfect."

My father's words make me emotional. I gaze around, trying to keep my feelings under control.

The party gets started, and we are treated to a delicious meal made with locally sourced ingredients. It is sweet to see how Ellen and Eric's sustainable vision is reflected in the wedding décor. There are no cut flowers as the centerpieces, but potted plants. Sue made these little bags with recycled fabric that hold the small candy dishes that I made for the occasion.

At a moment, I head to the garden to enjoy the peaceful evening. I can still hear the soft jazz notes in the background, but it complements the mood.

"Hey handsome."

I turn around to find my girl standing there. I offer her my hand, and she holds it. We walk along the path while enjoying the scent of the flowers.

"Are you okay?" She asks.

"I am. Why?"

"You are quiet."

I chuckle at her words. I'm never this quiet at all, but now everything fell into its place, and I feel at peace.

"I have been thinking a lot in the past hours. I love you a lot, Sierra. I want us to do this whole thing one day," I say, motioning to the party with my head.

"You want to get married?" She says, lifting an eyebrow.

"I do. Hey, wait! Did you just proposed to me?"

"I thought you were proposing to me," Sierra says, laughing.

"I was... I am. Do you want to marry me?"

"I do."

I embrace my girl. I'm not doing this because of what my father said. The thought has run through my mind often. She loves me. Even when I hug people when I'm drunk. When I worry about pointless things. When I'm a carpenter and a potter. With all the good or the bad, she loves me and is always ready to comfort me and give me advice. I would be an idiot not wanting to spend my life with her.

"But I want to dance at our reception," she says, lifting her head from my chest.

"As long as I don't have to wear a tie," I say, kissing her forehead.

"Deal!" she says with a grin.

"Why don't we go to the dance floor and practice? We will tell the good news to the family when Eric and Ellen come back from their honeymoon. I don't want to steal their spotlight."

"You are getting married!"

We look to our left to find Sue standing next to us with my little niece, Rain, in her arms. So much for keeping our engagement secret.