Chapter 30 - Beach Tourists

SUE

I hope he hasn't noticed my plans. I open the apartment door and find Harry reading the newspaper at the tiny dining table.

"Hey, you are back! Is everything okay?" He says.

"Everything is well. I took the weekend free."

"Who is keeping an eye on the store, then?"

"Ellen is helping me. Jesse and Eric have some jobs this weekend, and she was more than happy to do it. Why don't you put on some clothes and shoes and come with me?" I say.

Harry is barefoot and only wearing a pair of boxers. The scar on his waist is now only a dark curved stripe on his skin.

"Where are we going?" He asks while standing up.

"It is a surprise. We need to celebrate that you are okay again. No more obliged bed rest for you."

Harry walks to me, cups my face and kisses my lips. He caresses my cheeks with his thumbs while looking at me with so much love.

"What should I wear?" He says.

"Something comfortable but warm," I say and steal one more kiss.

I tidy the dining table while Harry gets dressed. He has opened the mail from yesterday, and I see more medical bills plus the regular house expenses.

"I called the hospital. They will make a payment plan for me," Harry says, coming from the bedroom with a pair of shoes in his hand.

"I didn't mean to be nosy," I say, putting the bills back on the table.

"I have nothing to hide, and even less from you. My insurance doesn't cover everything, and I live on a modest salary. I have saved a bit, but I still won't be able to pay those bills in one go. Luckily, I will go back to work on Monday. I will ask for some hours in the warehouse to earn extra," he says while tying his shoes.

"I can help you," I say. "I also have a bit of money saved."

Harry stands up and places his hands on my waist.

"You are helping me enough already."

I put my head on his chest and enjoy his soapy scent while he hugs me. I then hold his hand, and we head downstairs together.

"Where are we going?" He says as he sits in the passenger seat.

"You will see."

I drive towards the coast and pass the tourist area. The surroundings turn wilder, with tall beach grass and untouched sand. I look at Harry, who is smiling at the sights.

"The beach... we are going to the beach," he whispers.

I found a tiny one-bedroom cottage and rented it for the weekend. Harry loves the beach. It is too cold and windy now to take a dive or lie on the sand, but the view is still spectacular.

"This is so beautiful, so perfect," he says as he steps out of the car.

The wooden cottage is elevated, painted in light blue with a white trimming, and on the porch, it has two Adirondack chairs. I walk to the car trunk and get out a weekender and some grocery bags.

"What do you have in the bags?" Harry asks.

"I borrowed a few of your clothes last night, and I have food for the weekend. I wanted it to be a surprise."

"Thanks, this is very sweet," he says, giving me a small kiss.

We head inside, and the place is very charming. There is only a bed, sanitary facilities, and a small kitchen. No TV and no distractions. Just Harry and me. After storing the groceries and our stuff, I turn to Harry, who is looking at the sea.

"What are you doing?" I say.

"Trying to memorize this. I want to paint it when we return."

"About that... happy birthday," I say, giving him a wrapped parcel.

"How do you know it is my birthday?" He asks, surprised.

"I saw the date on some hospital papers a while ago. You keep it quiet."

"I haven't celebrated my birthday in so long that it just feels like another day," he says with a shrug.

"Not anymore. I even brought a small cake. Why don't you open your gift?"

"Come here first."

Harry cups the nape of my neck and brings our lips together. My feelings for him are growing every day, and I can say without a doubt that I'm in love with him. He breaks the kiss and unwraps his gift. He laughs a bit and gives me a hard hug. I got him a travel-size watercolor set.

I get us some blankets, and we sit on the porch. Harry sketches first and then paints. I take out a handkerchief and a small embroidery kit and entertain myself. I go inside from time to time to get us some drinks and snacks. When the evening falls, we head inside to have dinner. I bring the small cake that I bought with a lit candle.

"Make a wish," I say. Harry looks at me, then closes his eyes and blows the candle.

We enjoy the sweet with a warm cup of milk and then it is time to bed. It is raining outside, and the rhythmical noise on the roof is comforting.

"I have one more gift for you," I say.

"One more? You have given me a lovely birthday already."

My hand travels down his chest and rests on the edge of his pajama pant.

"Sue, I don't want to misinterpret this. Do you want to... make love?" He asks, and I nod. "We don't have to do it. I love you, and I know you love me. That is enough," he says while caressing my cheek.

"I want to."

Harry holds me in his arms while he kisses me. His hands then touch my body. He undresses me carefully, and I help him out of his pajama pants and his boxers.

"Harry, you are shaking," I say, caressing his face as he lies on top of me.

"I'm nervous as hell. I don't want to hurt you."

"You won't."

He enters me and kisses my jaw and neck. I relax, and the initial sting disappears. He looks at me while his body rocks. I'm enjoying making love with Harry and his soft grunts tell me he is as well. He leaves small kisses all over my face, and as he says my name, he comes undone. He then touches me in undiscovered places, and I feel as if I'm falling, but I don't hit the ground. When I finally do, I'm out of breath and shaking. He comforts me in his arms while we listen to the rain.