Chapter 23 - Senior Tourists

SUE

I put Mom and Dad up to date with what is going on in Jesse's life. Mom's face reflects compassion for my brother.

"Just try not to bring it up anymore. When we go back, I will help him write her an email," I say.

"I feel sorry for him. Jesse is my naughty little boy, but he is so loving and sweet. He cares about this girl. I had never seen him act like this when he had his other breakups," Mom says.

"Sierra is the best match for Jesse. She reminds me of you, Mama. You know how crazy he can get from time to time. She calms him and gives him good advice, just like you do," I say.

The voices of my brothers reach us. Mom and Dad change the conversation to their current activities.

"Will you be staying at the ranch?" Dad asks.

"Yeah, I booked us for four nights in one of the lodges," Eric says, stretching his leg and scratching it over the fabric of his sweatpants.

"Let me see that wound," Mom says.

"Mama, I will not strip down here," he says. Mom gives him the 'stare', and he stands up and pulls his pants down.

"Nasty," she says, examining it. "I have something to help with the itch, at least. How long before it heals?"

"Four weeks in crutches, then therapy," he says.

"Well, your Mom and I were the youngest guests. I guess it is you three now," Dad says with a chuckle.

"Is it senior week?" Jesse asks. "If we play the games, we have a bigger chance of winning."

"You should join. The prizes are lovely," Mom says, pointing at a bunch of small bottles of wine and beer.

"Made for you Jesse. Let's hope that you don't start hugging people," I say.

"Hysterical, Sue," he says, not amused.

"If you don't mind, I would like to spend the day with Jesse tomorrow. They have this interesting wine and beer tour, and I could use some company," Mom says.

"You want to spend the day with me?" He says with surprise. "But you always call me your biggest headache."

"Jesse Garnett, you are my biggest headache, but you are my darling boy."

Jesse smiles and nods. He and mom fight plenty, but they adore each other.

"So, what should we do first?" I ask. "We still have some time before checking in."

"They have dance classes in the theater," Mom says.

"Eh... excuse me, tear in my hamstring here," Eric says, pointing at his leg.

"You can come and swim with me. I refuse to make a fool of myself again," Dad says.

"What about me?" Jesse asks.

"They have crafts," Mom says, and he grins.

I head to the car to get Eric's swimsuit and towel. I leave Dad in charge of him and head together with Mom and Jesse to a big building nearby. Mom points to all the lovely places to see and tells us about the activities.

As we come inside, two guys are looking at some papers while two girls are setting up materials on tables.

"Good morning, Susan. You are up and early after the wild night. How is Herb doing?"

Jesse and I can't hide our smiles. We have never heard Herb and wild in the same conversation.

"He is doing fine. He will spend the day at the pool with Eric, my oldest. These are Jesse and Sue, my other children."

"More Garnetts! Pleased to meet you. I'm Huritt," he says, shaking our hands. "Susan, are you still on the tour tomorrow?"

"I am, and Jesse will come as well," Mom says.

"Great! I will give the final numbers to the winery and the brewery. See you around."

Jesse walks towards the craft area, and the girls there receive him with silly grins. My brother is a colossal idiot, but he is a handsome one.

People arrive, and I'm curious about this dance lesson. Like Dad said, we are the youngest guests so to see.

"Okay, everybody grab a partner," a guy in sweats says. "We have a shortage of men, so the ladies will have to switch roles from time to time. Today we will learn the basic steps to dance salsa."

I look around for Mom to ask her to be my partner, but a guy already asked her. I feel a tap on my shoulder and look to my left. My gaze goes down to the tiny bald man that has a hand extended to me. I'm a head taller than him as well.

"Would a lovely lady like you care to be my dance partner?" He says.

How can you say no to that? He is adorable.

I place my hand in his and walk to the dance area. We get instructions, and the music starts. My dance partner is fantastic.

"You have done this before, so to see," I say.

"Ballroom dance champion a very long time ago."

Holy Moly! I won the lottery with him. While everybody is struggling to keep the count or remember the passes, I'm going around the room looking graceful without trying.

"Great start people! Now, change partners."

Nooo! The guy that was just dancing with my mom stands in front of me. I look at her, and she is making these weird wiggles with her eyebrows.

The music starts and we dance. The guy isn't as great as my previous partner, but he can dance.

I feel his hand going down my back and resting on my bum. I lift it and move it back and then spend the rest of the song doing the same.

"I tried to warn you," Mom says after the lesson is over.

"I don't speak eyebrow, you know?" I say, making her laugh.

We look at Jesse, who is surrounded by ladies with white hair and are looking at him with dreamy eyes. He is smiling and is good to see him like this after the sad look he had in the last days.

"Leave him there. He will probably end up teaching them how to make the crafts. Let's go to the supermarket. I haven't cooked in a while for my kids, and I want to spoil them," she says, locking my arm with hers.

Mom and I go to the shop in the main building. I'm surprised to see the groceries assortment. There is a bit of everything here. We make a selection of ingredients for our lunch and dinner today and my mouth waters at the idea of the yummy food.

We head out and see a few people standing at the reception looking at a TV. I take a quick glance at the screen, and my heart jumps into my throat. Harry is on the screen, walking with a forearm crutch and getting into a black car. The caption says: "Harold Colfield returns to his family after seven years of absence."