1: The Perfect Light

It was her first day of high school and it felt no different than middle school. She was a bit nervous and a little scared to look up. He looked so perfect just being his happy self, goofing around with his friends. They were all piled on top of one bench, all eleven of them. She could see his face under the pile even if it was 6:30 in the morning and the sun was no where to be seen.

     Her best friend was right next to her, it was the first time she had someone to help her through the transition of schools. For that she thought that this year was going to be alright, great even and for once she had confidence in herself outside her comfort zone. With her best friend riding next to her on the same bus and chorus class together nothing could bring her down. 

     At that moment she didn't care about what her parents did. Their marriage was on the mend and that was great but what had been said and done can't be changed. It was now a vase in her memory, that would take a long time to throw away. Maybe people will stop asking how she felt about the whole thing, emotions where not her strong suit. She had to be strong and as independent as a fifteen year old could be. Showing emotions was weak and complicating. she had to have a clear mind so that if things still didn't work out with her mom and dad she could help her sister in what ever way she could.

     " Hey we should hang out at your place." she giggled at the best friend.

     "Okay, yeah what time? What day?" the best friend asked.

     " Uh, how about tomorrow after school I could get a note from my parents telling the bus driver to drop me at your stop." she told the best friend.

     "Maybe we could play racquet ball?" she asked the best friend.

     " If it's ok can we not? I just think we'll be too tired." the best friend said wincing.

     "I seriously doubt that you and I will be too tired but we don't have to play racquet ball." she stated. Her friendship with her best friend was so subtle, they knew how communicate effectively. Neither of them had to actually say how they felt, they could sense each others mood and they were always on the same page.  

     She spent most of her time focusing on homework and studying for AP Human Geography. It was an interesting class and it earned her college credits before graduation. The teacher was actually a professor that used to teach at the college near here. He quit teaching at the college because he wanted to improve the education level in high schools. she started calling him professor after the first week, she thought he deserved the title because he treated his class like the adults that they would become.

     The rest of her classes were easy, except math. She never liked math because she was bad at it, that's all there was to it. English was actually kind of fun, they played Pictionary with their vocab words which she was very good at.  She adored her Biology honors class, the teacher had a skeleton, animals in formaldehyde,  and biology joke posters everywhere. This was also the first years that she have foreign language class, she was taking French. To her Spanish was too main stream and she liked the sound of the French language.

     The schedule was weird though, there was a fifteen minute break between third and forth period. Lunch was at the end of day for 30 minutes before they got on bus and went home. She used this time to spy on him and she noticed that he was hugging a person from her English class, a girl. The two of them acted like girlfriend and boyfriend. It was a bit of a let down but she had four school years to wait. They were going to break up eventually before he graduates in two years. As for herself she had this school year before she moved to a small town over 100 miles away.