Ch 2-But... I don't want to!

Ariana Valance

The next day I walked in to school with my head high... as was my skirt. I greeted my friends with a nod and listened intently as Kimberly told me of her new crush. Bryce Jayden, a very popular guy at Silver Shore. Rolling in money, and swoon-worthy looks, I thought I would make a great boyfriend and told Kimberly so.

"What class do we have?" Elena asked.

I consulted my time-table. "English with... Mrs Nuttal," I groaned.

"Shit, why her?" wailed Marielle. "Last year she told me my hair looked like a rainbow of ugly colors."

Marielle used to dye her hair many different colours but now she stuck to two or three at most. Today, it was black with purple streaks.

"Come on, we'd better go," I said. 

Marielle and I were the only ones to have English so we bade our friends goodbye and left.

I noticed Nick Hale coming to sit near us with his friend Alex Rosen, the one who had insulted me yesterday. They paused, like they were going to say something.

"It's you again," I sneered, slamming my books on to the desk. "Piss off."

Marielle, next to me nodded.

"Whatever," Alex said, rolling his eyes at Nick. "The bitch's not worth it."

I narrowed my eyes at them. "Get lost, Rosen."

Alex obliged, by giving me the finger and sitting behind us.

I decided to let this be.

"Ari, they're behind us!" Marielle stated.

"No shit sherlock," I answered, seeing as I am in a bad mood.

Marielle understood as she kept quietly to herself until Mrs Nuttal entered.

"Alright, everyone. Here are the teams for the project I am giving you." Her statement was greeted by a sleepy bored silence.

"Ariana Valance with Nick Hale."

I froze. Mrs Nuttal did not just partner me with that jerk. 

"Excuse me, what?"

"You heard what I said, Ms Valance," the teacher answered testily. "You have to partner up with Mr. Hale."

"But... I don't want to!" I whined.

"I am afraid that is not my concern. Marielle Jordan with Alexander Rosen."

It was like an atom bomb had exploded. First, I am placed with this asshole and now Marielle with his best friend? Ugh. Screw you, Mrs. Nuttal.

I brooded in silence as the lucky Laney MacBrennan got partnered with Bryce Jayden.

"Okay everybody! Partner up," Mrs Buttal announced. There is no way in hell I am moving my ass to go sit next to Nick of all people.

I sat in stubborn silence, while Marielle gathered up her stuff and went to sit besides Alex.

"Good luck, Ari," she said quietly.

"Thanks," I answered.

I stared at the blackboard on which was written the date. I cursed Mrs. Nuttal inside my head until I saw a burly figure plunking down next to me. I didn't look at him. I knew it was him. And I wish I didn't.

To my surprise, he was carrying a notebook and a blue pen.

"You don't actually think we're going to work together, do you?" I seethed.