Chapter One

I don't think I can do it anymore. I don't want to do it anymore. I'm 30 years old and I can't let him do this to me anymore.

"I hate you so much." I growl at him. "You are the worst thing that has ever happened to me!"

"Likewise, you bitch!" He screams back at me. "Get the hell out of my house!"

"Your house?" I laugh. "Both of our names are on the deed to the house!"

He glares and me and screams, "You're such an ungrateful bitch!!" Then he picks up the vase off of our dining room table and throws it across the room. It smashes off the wall and shatters into hundreds of pieces, making me jump.

My heart breaks, not because I know this is the end of my marriage, but because I know my children are locked in their room and hiding under their beds or in their closet from my husband, their father.

"I'm taking the kids! Then I'll leave." I shout and sprint from my side of the dining room table towards the stairs that lead up to my kids.

"The hell you are!" Robert shouts, jumping in my way and blocking me from the stairs. "Those are my children too!" He then raises his hand and slaps me across the face

"Stop it, daddy!" My oldest cries from the staircase.

I look up after I recover from the slap to see my  9 year old son peaking through the staircase railing. He's so scared that his dad is going to hurt me again.

"Go to your room, Scotty" Robert tells him with a stern voice but doesn't raise it.

"No!" Scotty yells and stands up. "You can't hurt mommy anymore! I won't let you!"

"Scotty, honey, please," I beg. "Listen to your daddy. I'll be up to tuck you in soon"

Scotty doesn't say anything. He lets out a sob then runs back up the stairs to his room.

"Great!" Robert huffs and runs a hand through his hair. "Now my kids are afraid of me because of you!" He slaps me.

I clutch my face as I feel it heat up where he has just struck me. "Just let me and the kids leave!" I beg. "We won't ever bother you! I just want to leave!"

This suggestion makes him lean down and get in my face. "Nobody leaves me!" He hisses, spitting in my face.

I can feel his hot breath on my face.

"Watch me." I hiss back. My voice doesn't quiver at all. I sound proud, something he's forgotten I am. I then walk around him and sprint as fast as I can up the stairs to my kids. I slam the door behind me and lock it.

"Mommy?" Emily, my 6 year old daughter asks,  her voice is filled with fear. "Is it over?"

"Yes, honey." I whisper and bend down and scoop her up in my arms. "We're going to go stay with Grandpa for awhile."

"But what about Daddy?" She asks as she clings to my neck.

I sigh and kiss my daughter's head. "He's staying here."

"Good." Emily whispers. "Daddy scares me."

My heart breaks when I hear this. The kids have heard us fight the multiple times we have, but never this bad.

"Mom?" Scotty asks from the corner of the bedroom. "What's that smell?"

My heart drops into my stomach when I smell it. Gasoline.

"The only way you're getting out of here is dead!" Robert shouts from down the hall.

I put down Emily. "Scotty, listen to me. You need to take your sister and you two hide in your closet."