Chapter 6

I can't even think straight. Shay isn't his girlfriend? It's hard to believe with how they act and how close they are. Shay seems like the perfect girl for Kelly. I guess it makes sense since they're best friends, but they could've went without saying anything for months and I wouldn't have known.

But anyways, after embarrassing myself, I lay down in my bunk and try to take a quick nap before anything else happens or I have to do something. As I'm laying there, Shay comes up to me and sits on the foot of my bed.

"So I hear you think I've got Severide wrapped around my finger." She says with a grin formed across her thin face.

I roll my eyes and force out a laugh. "I don't think your sexual orientation makes a difference on that one." I come back with, pretty pleased with myself for that remark.

Shay laughs at my comment, but her expression changes quickly. "He hasn't stopped talking my ear off about you since you walked through that door this morning." She admits to me and stands up, looking down at me now she says to me, "It's nice to have you here at 51 with us."

"Thanks." I reply as my heart accelerates at the fact that Kelly has been talking about me all shift. "And thanks for being a lesbian." I chuckle.

"Why a thanks for that?" Shay asks with a confused expression.

I pull out my phone and check the time, not wanting to make eye contact. "Because if you weren't I'd never have a chance with Kelly."

Shay grins and stuffs her hands in her pockets. "You're welcome." She tells me then turns on a heel and walks out of the bunk area.

That really got me thinking and for the rest of the shift, while nothing else exciting happened, my mind couldn't stop racing.

**************************************************************************************

After I got off shift, I went home and was greeted by my two little rascals.

"Mommy!" Emily shouts as I walk through the front door with my gym bag. I had to drop it to swoop the running child into my arms.

"Hi, sweetie." I chuckle as I give my daughter a squeeze. "Did you miss me?"

She nods her head up and down about ten times then buries her face in my neck. "Can we go to the park today?" She asks, her voice muffled.

"Of course we can." I agree and walk into the living room with my little monkey girl.

As soon as I get into the living room, Scotty jumps up and is by my side in a second.

"Mom! You're home!" He exclaims and hugs the side of my waist. "I missed you."

"I missed you too, buddy. But I was thinking I could take you and your sister to the park today?"

Scotty lets go of me and starts bouncing up and down like a baby kangaroo. "Can we, can we?"

"Of course." I tell him as I ruffled his shaggy hair. "Go get grandpa and see if he wants to come with us."

"Okay!" Scott agrees then sprints off towards my dad's room.

I set Emily down on the couch in the living room before I walk in the direction Scotty went. As I enter the hallway back to my dad's room, he and Scotty come out.

"Grandpa says he wants to go to the park too!" Scotty exclaims happily and grabs my hand. "Let's go, mommy!"

"Let's eat some breakfast first, then we can go." I offer and pick Scotty up. Dear God, this kid is getting heavy. "How much do you weigh now, kid?"