Chapter Four

We just got back from a call about twenty minutes ago. A small kitchen fire that was easily contained. But now I'm sitting at a table in the kitchen/living area of the firehouse, reading the Chicago Times, when I hear someone call my name.

"Westermore!" A guy with a goatee shouts my name, waving me over.

I get up, tucking my shirt into my pants. "What's up?" I ask as I walk over to the guy.

He puts his hands in his pockets. "There's some people here that want to talk to you. They're out by 81." He informs me, referring to our truck. I think this guy's name is Ottis. He's on Truck 81 with me, that's all I know.

I nod at him gratefully. "Thanks." I say to him then walk around him out to the apparatus floor. I emerge through the doors and dart my eyes to my right. I see "The Squad Table" that is occupied by Kelly Severide and a couple of other guys. I can't help but turn away and roll my eyes when I see a couple of the guys eyeing me down.

Finally, I reach Truck 81. There's no one standing in front of it, so I walk around to the opposite side and can't help the huge smile that explodes across my face when I see my dad, Scotty and Emily standing there waiting for me.

"Hey guys!" I kneel down and extend my arms for my kids to run into them. "I didn't think you'd be coming out to see me today!"

"We wouldn't miss your first day of work for the world, mom!" Scotty shouts as he wraps his tiny arms around my neck.

"Yeah!" Emily agrees enthusiastically and wraps her arms around my torso.

We hug quickly then Scotty lets go. "Can we see the firehouse?" He asks, practically bouncing from excitement.

I stand up and pick Emily up in my arms. She clings to my neck. "Of course you can see the firehouse." I tell my son and ruffle his hair. "Let's go." I say then look at my dad. "Thank you so much for coming by. It means a lot."

"No problem, kiddo." He smiles, crinkles form at the corners of his bright eyes. "It's good to be back."

"I bet." I agree and we walk around the truck towards the doors back into the house. "Hey, guys." I say as we get closer to the squad table.

They all look up from their papers and cells phones to see me, my dad and my kids. "These are my kids: Emily and Scotty. They couldn't wait one shift to get a tour of the house." I smile down at Scotty who's in awe of the fire fighters. "Who do you think I should ask?"

Kelly Severide is the first to speak up. "Hey guys." He stands up and walks slowly from his seat over to us, kneeling in front of Scotty. "I'm Kelly."

"Hello, Kelly." Scotty says in a formal tone that makes me giggle.

Kelly smiles too at the seriousness of Scotty's voice. "We're gonna let you take a look inside then how does getting in the fire truck sound?"

"That sounds awesome!" Scotty agrees, bouncing up and down.

"Alright, cool." Kelly chuckles then raises his hand for Scotty to high-five it. He does right away. After this, he stands up and looks at me then my dad. "Hi, Dave," Kelly extends his hand to my father. "It's nice to see you again."

"You too, son." My dad says, obviously confused because he hasn't seen Kelly since he was a teen. He has no idea he's shaking the hand of Kelly Severide.

"Dad, this is Kelly Severide." I inform him, grinning widely as I watch a flicker of realization cross my father's features. "Benny Severide's son." I continue, making sure that my dad truly knows.