Chapter 17

I wake up to the smell of a freshly cooked breakfast. Dad must've really gone all out this morning because of the kids being abducted yesterday.

I still can't believe it. I can't believe that Robert had the nerve to take my kids.

I roll over and put my arm over Kelly's bare waist. Pulling him closer I whisper, "Time to get up."

He smiles at my voice. "I'd rather stay here." He replies without opening his eyes.

"Me too," I admit and before I can't say anything else, Kelly grabs me and pulls me on top of him.

"Then let's stay," he smiles, opening his eyes and kisses my nose.

I can't help the huge grin that plasters my face. "I'm actually really hungry so I say we get breakfast before Emily flies in here and I have to try to explain to her what this is," I smirk and grab his hard member then let it go before rolling off of him.

"Fair point," he sighs then sits up and starts dressing.

Once we're both dressed and I fix my hair by throwing it up in a hair tie, we descend down the stairs to the kitchen.

"About time you two got up." My dad says as we emerge in the kitchen.

I look to the middle of the table to see a buffet in front of us. Eggs, bacon, pancakes, waffles, sausage and toast.

"Damn, Dad!" I compliment his feast and sit down next to Kelly. "You really cooked a lot."

"I figured your kids would be hungry." He grins and sits down across from us.

As soon as he sits down, my kids come running into the kitchen.

"Wow!" Scotty exclaims as he lays his eyes on the breakfast prepared for this morning. "Grandpa, this is awesome!"

"Thanks, buddy." He chuckles and gestures for my kids to sit down. "Come on, guys, eat." He smiles and I start piling up my plate.

Everyone else does the same and we have a casual breakfast. It feels like everything is back to normal even though I know that's far from the truth.

After breakfast I help the kids get ready for school. As we're in the bathroom getting their teeth brushed, Emily finally speaks up after being so quite all morning.

"I don't want to go to school." She cries and drops her toothbrush to cling to my leg.

"Why not?" I ask, kneeling down to be eye to eye with her. I ask despite the fact that I know she's afraid.

She wipes her eyes with her tiny hands. "I don't want daddy to take us away again."

"Sweetheart, I promise that won't happen. A police officer is going to be with you at all times."

"Will she have a uniform on?" Emily asks quietly.

I shake my head. "No, she'll be under cover. Like a secret agent."

Emily giggles at my words and hugs me. "I love you, mommy." She whispers so her big brother can't hear her.

I respond with a kiss on her cheek. "I love you too, sweetie."

I stand up and we get ready. As we're exiting the bathroom, I run into Kelly.

"Wanna tag along to drop them off?" I ask as I pick Emily up and hold her on my hip.

Kelly smiles. "We gotta stick together right?"

"Yes," I smile back and lean forward to kiss his lips quickly. It's just a peck but it still gets an 'ewww' out of my kids.

"Ah, you want a kiss don't you?" Kelly says to Emily then grabs her and gives her a sloppy kiss on the cheek.

"Ewwww!" She squeals with a laugh. "Yucky!"

Scotty roars with laughter and Kelly leans down and attacks him with his hands, tickling his sides. Scotty continues to laugh and Kelly picks him up and throws him over his shoulder.

"Let's go." He laughs and carries Scotty to the stairs where he lets him down to go down the stairs without being upside down.

Once we're bundled up in our winter attire, we pile in the car. I let Kelly drive and my kids climb in the back. I make sure to strap Emily in her car seat before I sit in the passenger seat in the front.

Without thinking, as soon as I sit down, I intertwine my fingers with Kelly's. The warmth from his large palm radiates into mine. I look over at him as he grabs the steering wheel at the top and leans his right elbow on the center console. His grey five o'clock shadow and blue eyes are brightened by the light that reflects off of the snow that lies on the ground outside. The drive is short and sweet and once the kids are in the school with their assigned police officer, we're back in the car.

"So what're we going to do today?" Kelly asks me as he looks in the review mirror to check for any oncoming cars.

I shrug as I click my seatbelt in place with my right hand. "How about we just stay at the house with my dad. Stay low for awhile?"

Kelly agrees and puts the car in drive. We don't talk much as we drive because I'm too busy wrapped up in my own thoughts. I just can't believe that I had my kids with the wrong man. Now trust me, I love my kids. I love them more than anything in the world, but the fact that their father is such a piece of shit really gets to me. If I would've just stayed in Chicago and not let my mom take me, I might have ended up with Kelly. I could have never had to put my children through the traumatic experiences that were induced by their father.

And I could still look like a normal person....

But it's too much to think of right now. It gets me too angry and too sad all at once. I know that I need to get myself out of my head when my thoughts lead to thinking poorly about my past. The past makes you who you are, and I'm going to live and learn from it, not wish I could change it.

"Thank you," I say abruptly, breaking the long standing silence in the car that was occupied by mildly audible radio music.

Kelly turns his head to me, obviously confused. "Thanks for what?" He asks, his voice getting softer and more vulnerable.

I shrug. "Everything. Thank you for everything you've done for me and my kids. You're so good to them. You've stuck around and treated them better than I could ever ask. You're just an incredible person."

Kelly's cheeks blush pink and he smiles, "I don't know about all that, but you're welcome."

I roll my eyes and give his hand a reassuring squeeze. "Don't sell yourself short. Please.." I pause and choke back the emotion in my voice. "Kelly Severide, I'm so grateful for you, and I'm so happy you came back into my life."

He gives my hand a squeeze. "We were meant to be." He whispers in a rough, temping voice then turns his attention back to the road.

"It's always been you," I whisper under my breath..

"What?" He asks and presses his lips together in curiosity.

I hate that I feel like I never let him know how much I love and cherish him and our relationship. I can't help but feel like this is the one time that I need to make sure he knows, especially after everything that happened with Robert.

So, I clear my throat and speak up with more confidence this time. "It's always been you, Kelly. No matter how much I want to deny it, I've always wanted to be with you. Even when I was with Robert, you were who I thought about. No one has ever been a better friend to me than you have. You're everything I've been looking for. Even though you've always been here."

He smiles and slows as the traffic light in ahead of us turns to yellow. Once we stop at the light that is now red, he leans in and kisses me. "I love you, Chanel." He whispers, keeping eye contact with me for a long moment then sighing as our peripherals catch the light turning green. He leans back in his seat, looks back to the road and hits the gas. "And you're everything I've been looking for too." He smirks and squeezes my hand.

We don't say anything else as we drive back to my dads. There's nothing to say right now, so we enjoy each other's presence. I can't help but sneak peaks at him without him noticing. He's perfect and I love him with everything I have.