Chapter 16

* Chanel's POV *

I walk out of Kelly's office and avoid eye contact with Peter. I know he's going to ask me about what he just saw, and if he does really like me, I'm going to feel terrible about it. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy Kelly wants us to go public. But if Pete really does have a little crush on me, I'm going to feel horrible for hurting him.

I find myself going back to a table in the common area and propping my feet up. I pull out my phone and play a couple of games some genetic puzzle game before I see Pete sit down across from me.

"So you and Severide, huh?" He asks with a whisper of a voice. It sounds like it pains him to get it out.

I nod and look up from my phone. I can see the hurt in his eyes.. shit. "Uh, yeah," I reply shyly.

"How long have you guys been together?" Pete asks quickly.

I shrug, acting casual about it. "Half a year now."

"Oh wow," Pete sits back and exhales. "Well," he slaps his legs as he stands up. "Congrats." He mumbles and turns away.

"Are we still getting those drinks after shift?" I call, hoping he says yes. I don't want this to ruin my friendship with him.

He turns back and shoves his hands in his pockets. "Mind if I take a rain check?"

"No," I prop my feet back up. "Not at all."

"Okay," he sighs. "Thanks."

I return my attention back to my phone. As I'm playing my game again, it starts ringing in my hands. It's my dad.

"Hey, dad, what's up?" I answer the call.

His voice sounds panicked. "Chanel, I don't know.." he trails off, thinking of what to say. "Scotty and Emily, they're gone."

"What?" I croak, my voice suddenly disappearing.

"I went to pick them up from school just ten minutes ago and someone else signed them out." He informs me with pain in his voice.

"Well who signed them out?" I ask, my voice now sounding just as stressed as his. I stand up and start pacing. "Dad! Who signed them out?"

"John Doe," he replies. "The fucking school didn't take the precautions we had in place. They just let whoever the hell this guy is take them."

"Robert," I croak with realization. It had to have been Robert who took my kids. "Robert is the only person I can think of who would use a fake name to get ahold of them."

"Shit, Chanel," my dad sighs. "The police are here now. The Intelligence Unit is going to search for her."

"Is Antonio Dawson there?" I ask. I haven't talked to him in months, but I know he is in Intelligence and I can trust him.

"Yeah," Dad says then the line shuffles and a new voice comes across the phone.

"Chanel?" His voice is deep and calm.

"Antonio? Do you have any idea where they could've went?" I ask, my voice breaking with emotion as I choke back the tears.

I've made my way into a hallway of the firehouse so no one can see me as I break down.

"I don't, but I do know I'm going to get your kids back. I promise."

I cover my mouth to suppress a sob. "Please find them." I beg as my legs feel numb and holding up my own weight becomes almost impossible.

As I hang up the phone and collapse against the wall and slide down to the floor, Kelly comes around the corner and finds me.

"Chanel, baby, what's wrong?" He asks as he kneels down and wipes a tear from my cheek.