0 > The Step

2 YEARS BACK

The harsh mixture of laughs and chatter surrounded Finn as he walked across the campus. He found himself smiling at the passer-bys, though some returned the smile with enthusiasm and some didn't. But, that didn't kill the excitement of a new day at the high school. He was keen to make new friends, learn new things, and, experience what high school meant.

Finn scanned the surroundings around him, and that's when his eyes fell on her.

Dressed impeccably in a polka dot white blouse, with a black flaring skirt that ended up one inch above her knees, Finn took in her beauty as he shamelessly gawked at her. Her dark brown hair was tied up in a ponytail, and her sloppy bangs obscured her eyes from the view.

Her hands were searching something in the bag, and Finn found the opportunity to go and get acquainted with her. He clutched a strap of his bag pack tight in his hand and made his way towards her. Finn cleared his throat. "Hey."

Her hand stopped shuffling, and she glanced upwards. Her skin was pale, like porcelain, and the diamond studs in her ears sparkled when the sun rays hit it. If he was not wrong, her face was devoid of any makeup except the lip gloss she was sporting.

"Yes." She narrowed her eyes, and Finn noticed her hand clutched a book. The pale pink color covering the book was new, with various quotes scribbled on it with a dark pink pen. The impression of the quote intensified with the objects drawn related to the quote. One among them read- Even death has a heart. A depiction of a black heart was above the quote. In the center, Eilidh March was written.

Finn smiled and looked at her. She was staring at him without blinking.

He brought his hand forward. "Eilidh. Is that your name? I am Finn." The words were out of his mouth. She opened her mouth and widened her eyes in shock.

"Did you just call me ay-lidh?" she gritted her teeth.

"I am sorry. I assumed your name must have been Eilidh because it's written on the front of that book you have in your hand-" Finn stumbled with his hands as he tried to cover his mistake of assuming her name but, she stopped him.

"Ay-lee, it's pronounced as ay-lee, not ay-lidh!" her voice resembled a shout, and Finn stumbled back. She fisted her hands at the side of hips and looked ready to beat him. He sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck. "Uhmm, I am sorry, ay-lee."

She crossed her arms. "What would you do if, someone, pronounced your name wrong?"

"It never happened," Finn answered, but it aggravated her more. "Of course! Because your name starts and ends!" Eilidh waved her hands. "Finn, Finn, Finn. See, it starts, and it ends in a second."

Finn couldn't help the laugh bubbling at her action. "You look cute."

Instead of a response, she stared at him. Sternly. It was not the dazed or the - I am checking you out stare. It was a deadly one, one which told get out of my sight.

"Ah nice to meet you." Finn walked backwards and waved his hand at her. Eilidh twitched her mouth at one side and mouthed something at him. With one final glare and a look over her shoulder, she walked away.

Someone had told him whether it's the first sight of the person, or the last sight, or any sights in between, attraction travels faster than light. No one has control over who it is, how they look, or how they look at you. It just happens, without any permission, and declares war with the brain. When Finn watched Eilidh's retreating figure, he had no doubts that his heart had won over.

He had a crush on Eilidh March.

°°°°

A/N : hello people! finally, the story starts! I got involved with college and projects but I have chapters in stock so the updates will be regular now on. Thank you so much for the votes and comments! I know it's a pretty common thing to say but thank you because that honestly means a lot.

- aalaa