4 > Step Towards Eight

| DEDICATED to @theoros. You made me happy<3 |

FINN STOOD in front of the mirror as he applied hair gel to his blond hair. Usually, he didn't care how his hair looked as they were short, but today he was going out with Eilidh, finally.

With a swipe of his hand, his hair was set. Picking up the wallet and keys from the dressing table, he peeked a last glance at the mirror. Finn raised his eyebrows as he considered his outfit again. He leaned closer towards the mirror and stared at himself. The white shirt and jeans would do, he thought.

Finn had readily agreed when Eilidh suggested that they could go to the beach at night. She had insisted that she wanted to go somewhere where it was quiet. It shocked Finn when his phone had pinged last night with a message from her. She had admitted that relationships were a new thing to her, actual dating or not, but she had no idea how to go with someone she barely knew.

With a phone in his hand, Finn walked in the living room and found Fiona on the couch munching on chips. Finn sat beside her. He poked a finger at her side but, she mumbled something and got back to eating, her gaze fixed on the TV. When that didn't grab her attention, he put his hand in the packet and took out a chip which ensued a loud shriek from her.

"Don't eat! It's mine!"

"I poked you but, you did not respond." Finn turned to face her fully. "Now, tell me how do I look?"

Fiona looked at him, her gaze traveling up and down. Given, she was a ten-year-old, but, he could always rely on her to give him an honest opinion on his dressing.

She tucked her hand under her chin. "You look very white."

Finn opened his mouth and closed it again. "What do you mean?" Fiona reached forward and patted his hair. "Your hair and shirt match. White, white."

He frowned and tilted his head down to look at his shirt. It was stark white, and his hair was not white. It was blond. "It was stupid of me to ask your opinion," he muttered.

Fiona giggled. Finn pinched her cheek and got up. A faint beep of his phone halted Finn. He put his hand in his pocket and took out the phone. His eyes widened when Eilidh's message popped up.

Eilidh- My parents want to meet you.

Finn- Your parents? What ???!

Three dots appeared as she typed. The reply came after some seconds.

Eilidh- Shut up. My parents don't bite.

Eilidh picked up the phone on the first ring. "Hello-"

"Eilidh," Finn interrupted her. "I don't have any problem in your meeting your parents, but, you could at least informed me beforehand,"

Eilidh replied, her voice low. "Are you nervous about the prospect of going out with me?"

Finn ran his hand through his hair. "Somewhat. I am excited and nervous."

To his surprise, Eilidh laughed. It made him smile too because it was infectious and sounded more like an expression of amusement.

"Bye, Finn. I don't like latecomers." She disconnected the phone. Finn stood in a trance until Fiona's voice reached his ears.

"Why are you smiling like an idiot?" she asked.

"I am just happy."

***

Finn stopped the engine and shut off the car. The smell of the fresh roses hit him, and he clutched it tighter. Freya had ordered him to talk with confidence, be honest and use Sir, or Mam to impress them. With no idea what Eilidh had told them about him or their so called relationship, he found himself in a series of question, rummaging his brain. After a deep breath, he straightened his shirt and pressed the doorbell. The door opened, and a woman with a ladle in her hand stepped out and smiled at him.