3 > Step Towards Nine

°°°

FINN PACED to and fro outside the school campus, and kicked all the pebbles in his way. He stopped and glanced at his watch.

Ten more minutes, until Eilidh's class, got over.

A frustrated groan escaped his mouth. He sat on the bench and observed the students who passed by. When a couple holding hands passed by, it wasn't a surprise when his thoughts went back to Eilidh March. Again.

Finn wasn't a certified stalker, but, he had done his fair share of digging to know about Eilidh. As a result, he was aware that her schedule and his mere observations had led him to many conclusions too.

When he saw the hallway fill up with students, he took his backpack which had been lying on the ground and dusted it off before flinging it on his shoulder. Given his information, Finn was quite sure Eilidh had gone straight to the editorial student's room. It took a lot of her time, but she had volunteered so, he didn't have any right to point it out.

As he increased his pace, he dashed with someone. An apology was on the tip of his tongue when he saw who it was.

"Hey, Vanessa. Sorry for..uhmm, dashing," Finn said and rubbed the back of his neck. Vanessa arched an eyebrow and didn't respond. Not like he expected any.

Vanessa was a stunning, dark skinned girl with curly hair who could arch an eyebrow and break you into sweats. Finn and Vanessa were not best of friends, but, they weren't enemies either whereas Vanessa and Eilidh had an on/off the friendship. One minute, they were together, talking and laughing, and the other minute, they were competing for the valedictorian.

"You confessed to Eilidh that you like her," Vanessa stated as a statement. Finn's eyebrow rose up.He hadn't expected Eilidh to speak about this.

"So, what?"

Vanessa snorted. "She won't even glance at you, you know."

Finn waved his hand in the air and walked away before she could continue. For what he had in mind, he couldn't be bothered with what others had to think.

***

As always, the door was ajar. Finn peeked inside, and a rush of relief filled him at finding Eilidh alone. With a tap on the door, he went inside before Eilidh could kick him out.

Eilidh squinted her eyes at him and frowned. She pointed a pencil at him. "What are you doing here, again?"

"Go out with me, Eilidh." He stated as a matter of fact, without beating around the bush.

She rubbed her face with her hands. Finn knew he was irritating her. Or, maybe, he was forcing her but, all he wanted was a chance. Love wasn't in the air. But the attraction was. At least, from his side.

"Why are you forcing me, Finn?"

Finn dragged a chair, twisted it around and straddled it. He placed his arms on the backrest and stared at her. "I like you. I have already told you that."

"Our year is coming to an end. What will possibly happen if we do get together?" Eilidh asked haughtily. Finn sighed. He had no idea what would happen. He had always believed in living in the present rather than thinking about future. Finn rubbed his face with a hand. "Okay, I have a proposition for you."

"Proposition? What? Is this a business meeting?"

"See, how about we go on dates and decide ourselves if we can do it or not?" he asked.