6 > Step Towards Six

FINN heaved out a deep breath as he paced faster. He could hear the footsteps as Rebecca approached him. He tugged at the collar of his shirt and increased his footsteps.

"If you don't stop there, I will voice the question out loud, Finn," Rebecca's voice boomed. Finn plastered a wry smile as people in the hallway looked at him. He made a peace symbol with his finger and turned around.

"So much for respecting my privacy," Finn deadpanned.

Rebecca put her hand around Finn's shoulder. "You better tell me what happened. You have been tackling this question since a week! Who does that to your best friend?"

Finn let out a groan. "I told you, we didn't do anything!"

Rebecca raised her eyebrow. "I don't believe you."

"I never expected you to bug me about my personal life," Finn muttered. Rebecca clapped her hands, and spoke, her voice laced with sarcasm. "Great. Personal life. I never stopped you from interfering in my personal life when you ask me. That's how you repay me?" she paused. "Or wait did you, you know.. get it on with her?"

"I spilled ink on her favorite novel, then we went to the beach and watched the sunset. That summarizes my date with Eilidh."

Rebecca tapped her chin with her. "That's boring. We should have this conversation in front of Max and somewhere private." She linked her hand through his arm. "Lead the way."

°°°

Finn laid back on the couch as he scrolled through his contacts. He hovered his finger over Eilidh's contact but didn't click it. After their 'soft date' as Rebecca called it, Eilidh and Finn had gone back to their respective lives. He had texted her, but Finn never understood if Eilidh was genuinely texting, or being sarcastic.

He decided to give in the temptation and called Eilidh. The phone rang, and Finn ran his thumb over his lower lip when no one picked up for the first three rings. At the fourth ring, he heard her voice.

"Hey, Eilidh," Finn said and looked at the clock on the wall. It was eleven.

"Hey, Finn," she replied, and Finn hummed. Her voice was soft over the phone. There was a blurry sound, something hitting on the desk and then she was back on the phone.

"So what's up?" He heard her groan. Finn sat up straighter and asked. "What happened?"

"I was writing a book review for The Song Of Achilles."

"Uhmm okay," Finn mumbled in a low voice, having no idea about the book. He heard Eilidh chuckle. "It's not for my homework. I was writing it for myself along with drawing the visual scenery."

"That's awesome. Maybe you can show it to me some day," he spoke fast and rushed over the next thing. "Will you go on a date with me tomorrow?"

Finn chewed his lip, and then he heard the beep.

Eilidh had hung up on him.

Finn sat up straighter and called again. When she didn't pick up, he kept the phone on the table and ran his hands over his hair. They weren't exactly dating, but he liked her, really liked her and this hurt. Finn thought. Just then, the blink of the notification from his phone heightened his sense. He bent over, almost breaking the glass in his way and grabbed his phone.

His face lit up when he saw the message

Eilidh: Sorry, the battery ran out. We are on for tomorrow.